Installation issues

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
Huck

Installation issues

Post by Huck »

I downloaded and burned the GhostBSD 20.04.1 to DVD and proceeded with the installation. About 15 seconds into the procedure, after entering user and all that, the error message "Installation Failed" applet popped up.

I used Gparted to clean my hard drive and tried again, this time with MBR enabled instead of GPT, and it installed successfully. I ran it for a while and was happy with it as I configured etc. Then a prompt came up for an update of several packages. On reboot I got a persistent blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the black screen and that was it. The update/upgrade broke the installation.

This is an HP "Envy" laptop with Intel and nVidia cpu and graphics. Various linux distros install with no such issues. I'd very much like to run GhostBSD no this machine, but don't want to settle for not being able to run the updates/upgrades. I have seen no posts in here addressing this particular problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

- Huck
Huck

Re: Installation issues

Post by Huck »

I downloaded and burned the GhostBSD 20.04.1 to DVD and proceeded with the installation. About 15 seconds into the procedure, after entering user and all that, the error message "Installation Failed" applet popped up.

I used Gparted to clean my hard drive and tried again, this time with MBR enabled instead of GPT, and it installed successfully. I ran it for a while and was happy with it as I configured etc. Then a prompt came up for an update of several packages. On reboot I got a persistent blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the black screen and that was it. The update/upgrade broke the installation.

This is an HP "Envy" laptop with Intel and nVidia cpu and graphics. Various linux distros install with no such issues. I'd very much like to run GhostBSD on this machine, but don't want to settle for not being able to run the updates/upgrades. I have seen no posts in here addressing this particular problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,
Huck

Post by Huck »

Darn it.. sorry about the double post.. I was trying to edit spelling and ended up with two posts.
Huck

Post by Huck »

I've reinstalled GhostBSD 20.04.1 and want to know if there is something I can do to prepare the system for updates so that it goes well and doesn't break the system again.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I would recommend to install this http://download.us.ghostbsd.org/develop ... 64/latest/ since it is more up to date.
Huck

Post by Huck »

Thank you, ericbsd! That iso installed and booted normally, and looks good.

I do have an issue or two, but I think they're related to the Mate wm or perhaps something else. I'll look around to see if they're addressed somewhere in these GhostBSD support forums (tray on right of panel containing clock and battery and wifi icons as usual, but two sound icons which are greyed out and cannot be removed.. also, dvd would not eject and brought up error message; I was able to force it to eject using Mate shell).

Thanks again.. I'm now running a great looking and very responsive BSD!

- Huck