Unable to Resize Partitions - Upgrade Installation?

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
chemikalguy

Unable to Resize Partitions - Upgrade Installation?

Post by chemikalguy »

When I installed GhostBSD, I did it as a test install to see if I liked it. I did it on a 25GB partition as a virtual machine. I figured that even though the recommended hardware is 30GB, I would try it, and if I liked it, would expand the partition.

Fast forward a month or two, and I found that I do, in fact like it, and wanted to expand the partition. I made the partition 40GB in VMware, and I looked around, but couldn't find anything that worked wihtin the OS to expand the partitions. I couldn't even find a partition program in the OS. This morning, I got a notification that I had 1.1GB of free space left. I messed around with it briefly, and rebooted it, thinking that might clear some temp files or whatever. Anyway, after rebooting, the system won't boot, telling me that now I'm over capacity.

I looked around online and found people saying to use this command to list the partitions to see which were maxed out (df -h), and then use this command to resize them (sudo resize2fs /dev/xxxxxx 40G). When I try them, I'm able to see two partitions that are at 108%, but the second command gives the error "operation not permitted while opening". I booted the ISO and browsed the /media directory and see what I believe is the virtual CD drive and the ISO, as well as the hard disk containing my install, but get the same error when trying to resize.

If anyone can tell me how to expand it, that's great. Otherwise, is it possible to run the installer again, but this time just use it to expand the partitions without destroying the data they contain? I'd prefer to do that, now that I have a system that's configured (mostly) the way I like it.

Thanks!

Scott
chemikalguy

Re: Unable to Resize Partitions - Upgrade Installation?

Post by chemikalguy »

Additional info - When I let the system boot, it boots to a command prompt login, and I'm able to log in using my user account, scott. I see the message 'filesystem full', and it says to "try and delete the file /tmp//fish.scott and restart fish". I cant' see that folder to know what I'd be deleting, or if it even exists at all.
chemikalguy

Re: Unable to Resize Partitions - Upgrade Installation?

Post by chemikalguy »

So, after doing some research on the FreeBSD forums, I found a set of instructions to try, which ultimately destroyed the file system. So, I ran the installer to see what it would do, and I'm the proud owner of a brand new, shiny install. :( On the positive note, I made the disk 60GB this time, which should last me quite a while.