install usb black screen

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
nathansz

install usb black screen

Post by nathansz »

hello,

I'm trying to instal ghostbsd on a 2011 iMac with i7 2600, nvidia GTX 770m, 16 GB ram

when I try to boot from the install usb it begins to boot but right before the gui comes up I get a cursor for a second at the top left of the screen, then a glitchy mostly white box flashes about a third of the way down then screen, then the screen just goes blank but with the backlight on

any ideas appreciated

thanks
nathansz

Re: install usb black screen

Post by nathansz »

i don’t know if it’s helpful information,

but furybsd install usb works without any issues
nathansz

Post by nathansz »

was able to install ghostbsd 19.10
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

probably due to nvidia GTX 770m not suported with Nvidia 440.* driver.
nathansz

Post by nathansz »

indeed it is not supported

thanks for the reply
nathansz

Post by nathansz »

before I realized it was the nvidia driver that broke it all I tried to upgrade and I can't get any gui except in safe mode, which makes sense and helps me understand what is happening

I'm pretty comfortable in the command line (mostly Macos but some linux and windows) but completly new to bsd

if I can figure out how to remove the 440 nvidia driver and put an older one back in should everything work?

or is everything dependent on the newest driver and everything else will still be broken ?

thanks again for any help and wisdom
aschiebe

Post by aschiebe »

I have the same on my old laptop, that I cannot use the newest nvidia driver and have to stick on the elder one.
Before run the upgrade, do an
pkg lock <your-working-nvidia-driver>
and afterwards you can run the run upgrade, preferred froom terminal. After the first reboot after upgrade, if all is fine you unlock the driver with,
pkg unlock <your-working-nvidia-driver>
Is my working solution, to not upgrade to the latest nvidia-driver, which will cause a black on screen on my laptop to.
And in the Forum is another solution, to delete the newest driver and install from pkg cache the elder working driver - search the forum for pkg cache.
Hope it helps too.
aschiebe

Post by aschiebe »

I have the same on my old laptop, that I cannot use the newest nvidia driver and have to stick on the elder one.
Before run the upgrade, do an
pkg lock <your-working-nvidia-driver>
and afterwards you can run the run upgrade, preferred from terminal. After the first reboot after upgrade, if all is fine you unlock the driver with,
pkg unlock <your-working-nvidia-driver>
Is my working solution, to not upgrade to the latest nvidia-driver, which will cause a black on screen on my laptop to.
And in the Forum is another solution, to delete the newest driver and install from pkg cache the elder working driver - search the forum for pkg cache -> this article "lost Xorg with new nvidia drivers"
Hope it helps too.
nathansz

Post by nathansz »

thanks that totally worked. I figured I may have broken other things trying to figure it out so I did a fresh install and used your method to upgrade

my next challenge is trying to get gnome3 to work
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

By the way, there is a packages nvidia-driver-390.