Checks to run after installation

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
steve900

Checks to run after installation

Post by steve900 »

What are the standard checks to run post installation?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Checks to run after installation

Post by ericbsd »

What you mean by "What are the standard checks to run post-installation?" ?
steve900

Post by steve900 »

I installed ghost twice and ran it for a few hours and then had a load of problems (hanging, I do not remember what because I was so annoyed and disappointed). During the installation sequence a screen came up with a number of possible selections (Radeon cards, Vesa etc) and I selected on and it worked but then the problems ocurred. And I think there are logs to check the installation? And how to interpret the information? I am using Linux Mint again but I know that it will be corrupt again soon (in particular Thunderbird) so I would like to try to understand ghost and how to get it to work.
UnixLinuxB

Post by UnixLinuxB »

steve900 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:14 pm I installed ghost twice and ran it for a few hours and then had a load of problems (hanging, I do not remember what because I was so annoyed and disappointed). During the installation sequence a screen came up with a number of possible selections (Radeon cards, Vesa etc) and I selected on and it worked but then the problems ocurred. And I think there are logs to check the installation? And how to interpret the information? I am using Linux Mint again but I know that it will be corrupt again soon (in particular Thunderbird) so I would like to try to understand ghost and how to get it to work.
You may have run into an install or update of installed system or packages where the package downloads halt on the larger set(s). I find it easy to fix
if one has root access and knows how to restart the package upgrades using the command line, a simple CntlC and 'pkg upgrade' again.
steve900

Post by steve900 »

Thanks - will try this
slughorn

Post by slughorn »

steve900 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:14 pm I installed ghost twice and ran it for a few hours and then had a load of problems (hanging, I do not remember what because I was so annoyed and disappointed). During the installation sequence a screen came up with a number of possible selections (Radeon cards, Vesa etc) and I selected on and it worked but then the problems ocurred. And I think there are logs to check the installation? And how to interpret the information? I am using Linux Mint again but I know that it will be corrupt again soon (in particular Thunderbird) so I would like to try to understand ghost and how to get it to work.
It seems to me, that you have played a lot with all different configurations and ware lost at the end.
I have installed GhostBSD in Dec 2019 and work every day with it. Until now I had no big issues. All were solved at the end. Sometimes it is recommended to read a little on BSD related pages.