Installed but no Boot Option

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
geffers

Installed but no Boot Option

Post by geffers »

Folks,

Installed GhostBSD, all went fine. It was on a primary partition along with a few other Linux systems.

Declined to install the Ghost Bootloader as I didn't want to affect my installed Linux systems.

Booted into a Linux system, ran update-grub, indicated it found an unknown Linux system on the correct partition but when I rebooted no option for GhostBSD.

I am able to boot Linux systems manually from the grub menu but am unsure of the procedure with GhostBSD. If I can boot it manually I can then enter the commands into the custom script in the grub config files.

Any tips appreciated.

Geoff
ouaille_aime_scier_

Re: Installed but no Boot Option

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

Hello geffers,

You can install the GhostBSD Refind bootloader which will recognize the other Linux distributions installed on your machine (solution that I have chosen personally) or create a 40_custom file in your Linux distribution and do a grub update behind so that it detects GhostBSD entry, see https://forum-francophone-linuxmint.fr/ ... hp?t=12401
geffers

Post by geffers »

ouaille_aime_scier_ wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm Hello geffers,

You can install the GhostBSD Refind bootloader which will recognize the other Linux distributions installed on your machine (solution that I have chosen personally) or create a 40_custom file in your Linux distribution and do a grub update behind so that it detects GhostBSD entry, see https://forum-francophone-linuxmint.fr/ ... hp?t=12401
That was very easy to follow but screen just locks up, tried it a few times and each time screen locks, blank, no message. Ctrl-Alt-Del or backspace doesn't do anything, have to power off.

I cannot recall what boot option I chose, think you are given two options, thought second option was to install boot loader to partition rather than to the boot sector of disk.

All the file system appears to be there.

Geoff
geffers

Post by geffers »

I've tried now installation about four times. I've allowed auto setup for mount points. I've tried UEFI Loader only, I've tried FreeBSD boot manager, still no boot menu option to load Ghost. The option to setup rEFind boot manager is greyed out.

If I run update-grub from a Linux dustro I get 'unknown linux system found on /dev/sdb2

I've also tried
menuentry "FreeBSD 12" {
set root='(hd1,2)'
kfreebsd /boot/loader
}

On this the screen just locks and I have to power off to get back control.

I am running out of ideas here.

Geoff