What format

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
geffers

What format

Post by geffers »

Folks,

Appreciate BSD has it's own file system or UFS but prior to installation is there a preferred format to have the drive prepared? As a Linux user my disk editors are unable to format to the BSD preferred so I tend to have them as Ext4 or is unallocated better?

Geoff
slughorn

Re: What format

Post by slughorn »

GhostBSD uses ZFS.
But the ext2fs driver will permit the FreeBSD kernel to access ext2 file systems and its derivatives. It currently implements most of the features required by ext3 and ext4 file systems. Support for Extended Attributes in ext4 is experimental. Journalling and encryption are currently not supported.
geffers

Post by geffers »

slughorn wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:56 am GhostBSD uses ZFS.
But the ext2fs driver will permit the FreeBSD kernel to access ext2 file systems and its derivatives. It currently implements most of the features required by ext3 and ext4 file systems. Support for Extended Attributes in ext4 is experimental. Journalling and encryption are currently not supported.
Can it install to a logical partition within an extended partition? Reason I ask is that I am trying to install from a Live version and when I reach the partition editor I have to choose manual UFS as there are other O/Ss on the disk. When I highlight my intended partition options remain greyed out. Cannot delete or create root file system. Cannot proceed.

Geoff
UnixLinuxB

Post by UnixLinuxB »

/ [ vs var tmp usr ] have to be in a primary parttion AFAIK * unless * some boot loader gets around that, don't know if any do.