Thunderbird and Enigmail

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
Georgiaboy

Thunderbird and Enigmail

Post by Georgiaboy »

I looked through the software station checking for enigmail. Not seeing it I got the download and installed it. All the wizard for enigmail did was to install a key for it which was cool. But didn't find any passphrase nor a place here to fix one. So I imported my keys and installed them and revoked, deleted the one fixed by the wizard. I also imported the key for another individual taht used engimail. And I'm still unable to decrypt emails and unable to find a way to enable the passphrase . The only think I see in there is about clearing or deleting one but nothing for setting up one. Does anyone here have an idea how to get this setup for working? I'm on an Asus Laptop running the latest Ghostbsd Mate as an one and only on this machine. Or if enigmail is in the software station and I'm not seeing what it's listed under. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've searched all over the forum looking for Thunderbird and engimail combined and as separated items and wasn't able to find anything.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Georgiaboy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgiaboy

Re: Thunderbird and Enigmail

Post by Georgiaboy »

I've removed the addon rebooted, added addon again and rebooted and still unable to see why there is issues with using the Enigmail feature on Thunderbird in BSD. I've added some other gpg stuff from the software station to see if it might help out but didn't do any good. It shows 'update passphrase' as a selection but there isn't a passphrase sign in whenever you try to send anything encrypted or to decrypt one. It will suggest that you select the decrypt and verify. I've done that with test emails to myself and it will actually show what the contents are in the email when I do that. But when I receive something from the other individual whose public key I've added to keymanager I try same thing and it will not decrypt it nor verify it. This id very odd. I've never had this kind of issues with enigmail before. The wizard doesn't work same way it does in other OS's I'm using. So just curious if anyone else has had any issues with enigmail and Ghost as well.
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

I've been trying to research in how to setup the passphrase box to show up and request passphrase. Is there a way in terminal here on Ghost to get a gui passphrase box to show requesting 'passphrase' for enigmail? All I see here in my settings is to 'change passphrase' or 'clean passphrase'. When clicking on either one of those nothing shows to put in a new passphrase. So, got to wonderiing if there's a way in the terminal to go about this.

Thanks in advance

Georgiaboy
NeverSimple

Post by NeverSimple »

I never used this myself, but isn't Enigmail an 'add-on' for Thunderbird? You just go to the menu, browse add-ons and Enigmail is there. I just did. Why would it have to be available through 'software station'? Doesn't that method work?
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

@NeverSimple
I got it to install. But the problem is that you can't do a passphrase for it. You don't even get the box pop open asking you to create a passphrase or anything like that. I can import keys etc but just can't decrypt or anything due to that passphrase bit.

Thanks
Georgiaboy
Georgiaboy

Post by Georgiaboy »

I'm going to mark this as solved for the time being. Although I can't get Enigmail to work here I do know that they're going to quit supporting TB after they leave version 68, Supposedly Mozilla and TB are working on having their own openpgp installed in TB . Forget what version that's supposed to happen in but something they're working on. I do have it to where I can encrypt files and send that way so if push comes to shove I can write and save to a .txt and encrypt, send that way.
So will have to wait and see what happens when the TB comes with it's own openpgp setup. Probably will be another pain in the buns to work with. But maybe they'll test the ### out of it and put in a good front end for it.