Need Help Getting Live USB working/booting?

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
plumtreed

Need Help Getting Live USB working/booting?

Post by plumtreed »

I would like to install Ghost18.10 to a separate disk on my laptop....the laptop has 2 disks. I have Linux Ubuntu on one disk and I would like to put Ghost on the other disk.........a dual boot...linux and GhostBSD.

I have been able to install Ghost to a USB on a Win10/Lenova Thinkcentre using this live USB so it appears that my Ghost download and 'live' USB install is OK.

My main problem is getting this live USB to initially 'boot' on the Linux (and Grub2) laptop in order to effect an install to the drive? The 'live' USB works on the Lenova but not the Acer Aspire 5315 Laptop.

Perhaps some changes are required on the live USB to get it to boot.

Does anybody know how to get the Linux Laptop to boot the Install USB?
plumtreed

Re: Need Help Getting Live USB working/booting?

Post by plumtreed »

.....ok, got that done.
jochene

Post by jochene »

Hello!
I'd be very interested in how you got that done!
I seem to be in a similar situation:

the iso-image is supposed to be a hybrid - the same image can be burned to cd/dvd or written to some usb-stick

So far the recommended method (using dd to write the bootable usb) never failed to work - but these where all linux hybrid images.
They always boot.

That same (recommended) method has, so far, always failed to give me a bootable usb-stick when using hybrid iso's like GhostBSD or TrueOS.
The usb-drive gets accessed (the LED blinks once) - and then it is ignored and the CD-Drive and/or the internal HDD is used.
Something seems to be amiss in the hybrid iso's for GhostBSD and others?

I can write the image to a DVD and use that to boot - it works just fine.
But it is very, very slow - it takes more than 10 minutes to the installer screen and a whole hour to complete the install.
... which then fails to boot
Troubleshooting this (by trying again with different options) is just too time consuming.
A bootable usb-stick would really speed things up.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

Sorry to not reply earlier and if you still have an interest I can give a solution that worked for me.......I have 2 PCs that worked 'otb' but my third, a laptop with 2xSSDs, was very reluctant...........running Peppermint linux with grub, this is the machine I play with and is much modified.

My biggest problem was that I couldn't get the usb 'live' to boot on the laptop to effect an install but it did on the desktop. I was targeting the SSD drive that I had installed in the optical drive slot so I moved that to the desktop temporarily and loaded ghostBSD then moved it back. I select the drive to boot via the bios rather than upgrade Grub.

Having done all that I tried FreeBSD and found it worked without any hitches on all my machines but it does require more effort to load a "Desktop" but Xfce, Lxde And Gnome load easily enough.

What type of pc do you have?

BTW.......I think the Hybrid aspect works ok ......mine never failed to DD and boot except on my laptop.
plumtreed

Post by plumtreed »

Catching up on old business............

I couldn't get 18.10 to boot on my laptop tho it would boot on other machines.

The introduction of 18.12 allowed me to successfully use 'parted /dev/sdx disk_set pmbr_boot on'
which allowed me to boot and install from my USB ..........I was tipped to this step via 'vit' on the Trueos forum. ;)