Upgrade from FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p15 to GhostBSD 18.10

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
grahamperrin

Upgrade from FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p15 to GhostBSD 18.10

Post by grahamperrin »

vaisarger wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:30 pm … Is there a way to upgrade a 11.X GhostBSD(FreeBSD) to the 18.X GhostBSD(TrueOS) just with the command line? I mean without using an installation media and format your root partition …
I took GhostBSD18.10.iso for a spin in a (rarely touched) VirtualBox guest for GhostBSD that I created in December 2017. Booted the guest from the .iso, ran GhostBSD Installer from the desktop, stopped myself when the installer required selection of a device (in my case, ada0).

If I proceed beyond the ZFS Configuration screen, then will the installer recognise the existing configuration and offer to import the ghostbsd pool? Or will there come a point where the partition table must be changed?

Incidentally: whilst drafting this post (in the host machine), the guest presented an alert for updates so I quit the installer etc. and proceeded with the Update Manager routine. Not because it's a proper way to proceed with an upgrade, whilst booted from something other than the system to be upgraded (!) … just curious. (Someone who has never upgraded might be misled by the prompt to update, in this context.)
grahamperrin

No upgrade path

Post by grahamperrin »

ericbsd
Developer

Re: Upgrade from FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p15 to GhostBSD 18.10

Post by ericbsd »

It is not possible to upgrade since all GhostBSD version before 18.10 did not have the possibility to upgrade.