GhostBSD is switching it's system base

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD is switching it's system base

Post by ericbsd »

erdalterzi wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 am Hi Eric,
As TrueOS will become a downstream fork that will build on FreeBSD by integrating new software technologies like OpenRC and LibreSSL, so what do you think about that? What do you think about TrueOS's desktop edition, which the team has reported a separate project, called Project Trident?
@erdalterzi I was aware of all that I am on the TrueOS dev team I participate in all meeting. I was part of the peoples at Ix that wanted to see that change.

So TrueOS is now a system that we can build FreeBSD/TrueOS distros with it, and the primary focus of TrueOS will be to maintain a stable server OS with better desktop capability than FreeBSD. Now that Project Trident was announced I can talk freely about it Project Trident and TrueOS future. Project Trident will be developed outside the company like GhostBSD but will be supported by the company, GhostBSD might benefit from the same treatment in a near future.

TrueOS is now stripped of all the tool that you had from a fresh installation. TrueOS is as default than FreeBSD, but it does contain some default tool that FreeBSD does not have by default like OpenRC and pkg base.

I was aware of https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueosdownstream for months, and that is why I did decide to switch to TrueOS.
rGBSD

Post by rGBSD »

Just installed TrueOS and have Ghost running on a different box. TrueOS installs very easily and AppCafe works great👍 GhostBSD install can be a little shaky. Just recently tried to upgrade Ghost and there was a black box blocking the install menu? Has anyone one else had this problem. I could not upgrade to GhostBSD 11. I would love to put either GhostBSD or TrueOS on a laptop.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

CuddlyOwl wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 am Hi. I am just joining the GhostBSD user base. If I can get my install.

I also compared TrueOS. (Aren't they in the process of becoming Trident?)
No Project Trident is distro of TrueOS, TrueOS will remain only for server and t0 build distro and appliance OS. Project Trident is a new project to replace TrueOS Desktop, but it will its own Distro.
In some ways I think it's a good idea because as stated it can help get newer improvements. However,
everyone isn't going to run out after all & buy a new EFI or UEFI machine if what they have serves them
well.

Maybe something that can set GhostBSD apart is the continued ability to have BiOS install & MBR support
which TrueOS dropped. I like what appears to be the option in GhostBSD for different boot management.
Later just add refind which I use on my Intel NUCs. (For EFI)
TrueOS did not drop BiOS install & MBR, it is still there on the server version and will be in the next release.

GhostBSD will continue to support MBR, GPT, BIOS, UEFI, UFS, and ZFS.

As I read somewhere dual booting isn't supported yet with GhostBSD on EFI. So I need to look at TrueOS to install
on my mini-pcs.
Actually, it as not been tested with GhostBSD, but the backend is the same as TrueOS installer.
Though I come from a Linux background as a user. I've seen many small group projects go under or struggling to
keep up with projects that have more developers.
Yes, it is True and it is a good thing for GhostBSD to merge the effort with TrueOS.

Whether it becomes Trident (there's some site on it I came across) or stays TrueOS it seems to me there's no
loss as they still come from FreeBSD base. (Why reinvent the wheel if it's already been done? )
TrueOS is not becoming anything else then a downstream fork of FreeBSD, Trident is a new project emerging from the ashes of TrueOS Desktop. TrueOS desktop will be no more. I know I have answered to that before, but just to make sure that everyone understands that.
As I suggested if there will be something like keeping support for non-efi hardware and other GhostBSD character
it will still be it's own project and as someone mentioned some contributors are already working here and there.

I do hope my suggestion isn't impossible and hope no offense as someone just coming to the BSD community.

:D
GhostBSD will stay almost the same that is already is other than having some minor difference from the base system that most user will not remark.

@CuddlyOwl No worries if anyone gets offended it is their problems. All your points and concerns are valid.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

rGBSD wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 am Just installed TrueOS and have Ghost running on a different box. TrueOS installs very easily and AppCafe works great👍 GhostBSD install can be a little shaky. Just recently tried to upgrade Ghost and there was a black box blocking the install menu? Has anyone one else had this problem. I could not upgrade to GhostBSD 11. I would love to put either GhostBSD or TrueOS on a laptop.
@rGBSD I am not sure what is the problem and there is no way to upgrade GhostBSD yet. You should probably start a new topic under the right Forum.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

To make sure that everyone understands why the change TrueOS I will add this.

TrueOS = FreeBSD current + all the change that please iXsystems, GhostBSD, Project Trident and users that want faster progress than FreeBSD + a better focus on Desktop use.

Project Trident = TrueOS + Lumina + the tool that has been developed for TrueOS over the years + QT framework.

GhostBSD = TrueOS + MATE(might include XFCE) + plus the tool that was develod for GhostBSD + GTK framework

And to be noted that for a TrueOS user that want an experience focus on the desktop will be able to upgrade to Trident or GhostBSD from a command line.
Casper

Post by Casper »

I'm looking forward to seeing where this project goes, and I'll donate more in the future. Thanks for the work on it.

...now if you guys could just add persistence, so that I can carry it on a usb on my keychain, that would be awesome. :D
erdalterzi

Post by erdalterzi »

Any updates of GhostBSD since FreeBSD 11.2 announced?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

erdalterzi wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:47 pm Any updates of GhostBSD since FreeBSD 11.2 announced?
We are preparing for 18.0# release. there will be no 11.2 release.
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Hi Eric! :)

Is there a way to upgrade a 11.X GhostBSD(FreeBSD) to the 18.X GhostBSD(TrueOS) just with the command line? I mean without using an installation media and format your root partition :? ...

Is there a way to keep all system configurations?