GhostBSD is switching it's system base

News and Announcements related to GhostBSD
ernbsd

Re: GhostBSD is switching it's system base

Post by ernbsd »

ericbsd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am....TrueOS is becoming an embedded....
The embedded based on OpenRC, has no indication of systemd? OpenRC is linux and almost all linux has systemd.
ericbsd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am ......OpenRC will be in base, Software wise it will be similar to the previous version.
It's a shame that you're moving away from the original sources and from FreeBSD support.
slughorn

Post by slughorn »

ericbsd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am

GhostBSD is about GTK framework and GTK Desktop like Mate. The replacement of TrueOS Desktop will be like PCBSD and TrueOS which had always been about the QT framework and Lumina.

And for everyone that is reading this don't hesitate to ask questions.
Does this meen: GhostBSD will stay with GTK and Mate or change to Lumina?
Do you change to Appcafe or stay with OctoPkg?
Will there be an
Upcoming announcent likehttps://discourse.trueos.org/t/upcoming ... admap/2986
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ernbsd wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:24 pm
ericbsd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am....TrueOS is becoming an embedded....
The embedded based on OpenRC, has no indication of systemd? OpenRC is linux and almost all linux has systemd.
OpenRC has a BSD license and supports BSD system, and a lot of patches have been sent upstream. Also, I am not sure why to bring Systemd in the conversation when that init Systemd is tied up to Linux kernel.
ernbsd wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:24 pm
ericbsd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am ......OpenRC will be in base, Software wise it will be similar to the previous version.
It's a shame that you're moving away from the original sources and from FreeBSD support.
I don't expect everyone to be happy about it.

It is easy to critics that change, but for all the years that I had not much help for the development of GhostBSD(OK, not to forgot that ASX and convbsd did help a lot the project.) and FreeBSD sometime had made some releases harder I think moving to TrueOS is worth to happen. Why? TrueOS cares about the future of GhostBSD, and I have some help and support from my manager Joe, Kris and others from iX. I also have a voice on changes happening in TrueOS so for me it is a no-brainer. Yeah, I have ports commit bit on the FreeBSD projects, but that does not give me any power on changes that occur on FreeBSD.

Kris, Ken, Joe, others and I have similar goals about what we want FreeBSD to be so instead of fighting for changes to happen in FreeBSD projects we will make those change happen with TrueOS and use TrueOS for our projects.

Yes, some people will be criticising the move to TrueOS, I am ready for that and do not expect everyone to be happy about that.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

slughorn wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 am Does this mean: GhostBSD will stay with GTK and Mate or change to Lumina?
@slughorn GhostBSD will stay with GTK, Mate and maybe with XFCE if someone continues to maintain the change. Lumina will not be part of GhostBSD, but at one point a new project will emerge using Lumina.
slughorn wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 am Do you change to Appcafe or stay with OctoPkg?
No, OctoPkg will be used until I finish my work on my pkg manager project. On thing go to mention installing packages like Nvidia driver, TrueOS add all the configuration for the user, so only the xorg.conf is needed to be added, but I might work on something that might do it for the user.
slughorn wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 4:40 am Will there be an upcoming announcement likehttps://discourse.trueos.org/t/upcoming ... admap/2986
That announcement will be the official announcement of the change happening to TrueOS and probably of a new project coming in. I had tried to keep everyone in the dark as possible, about what is happening to TrueOS until then the official announcement, but since my official publication of the switch lots of people responding negatively or wanted to know more and why so it was hard to manage. I had tried to provide as little info possible, but it has been hard to do, I should have waited a bit more to make that official announcement.
angus71

Post by angus71 »

Hi ericbsd,
the reasons for switching are perfectly understandable. So everybody can make his decision, stay with GhostBSD and give the TrueOS-based version a try or move on.
I´m really curious about this new version... :lol:
When do you expect it to be ready?
Greetings
angus71
slughorn

Post by slughorn »

@ericbsd: Many thanks for your open answers. I am testing GhostBSD and TrueOS in virtualbox for a while. I need a stable base for daily work. Up to now, for me GhostBSD seems the better way to switch to a new OS on my PC. Now I will wait until your switch of the system base. I am vary nosy how it works.
zezollo

Post by zezollo »

I can't understand how anyone can complain about GhostBSD following one or another direction, especially when one does not help directly in the development. It's just already a great thing that it does exist! Many thanks to Eric and anyone who helps!
Fastcorners

Post by Fastcorners »

Thanks Eric and all the GhostBSD team. I cannot imagine the work it takes to put this together. This should make it a little bit easier on you. Maybe you’ll get a day off once in awhile? Thanks
erdalterzi

Post by erdalterzi »

Hi Eric,
As TrueOS will become a downstream fork that will build on FreeBSD by integrating new software technologies like OpenRC and LibreSSL, so what do you think about that? What do you think about TrueOS's desktop edition, which the team has reported a separate project, called Project Trident?
CuddlyOwl

Post by CuddlyOwl »

Hi. I am just joining the GhostBSD user base. If I can get my install.

I also compared TrueOS. (Aren't they in the process of becoming Trident?)

In some ways I think it's a good idea because as stated it can help get newer improvements. However
everyone isn't going to run out after all & buy a new EFI or UEFI machine if what they have serves them
well.

Maybe something that can set GhostBSD apart is the continued ability to have BiOS install & MBR support
which TrueOS dropped. I like what appears to be the option in GhostBSD for different boot management.
Later just add refind which I use on my Intel NUCs. (For EFI)

As I read somewhere dual booting isn't supported yet with GhostBSD on EFI. So I need to look at TrueOS to install
on my mini-pcs.

Though I come from a Linux background as a user. I've seen many small group projects go under or struggling to
keep up with projects that have more developers.

Whether it becomes Trident (there's some site on it I came across) or stays TrueOS it seems to me there's no
loss as they still come from FreeBSD base. (Why reinvent the wheel if it's already been done? )

As I suggested if there will be something like keeping support for non-efi hardware and other GhostBSD character
it will still be it's own project and as someone mentioned some contributors are already working here and there.

I do hope my suggestion isn't impossible and hope no offense as someone just coming to the BSD community.

:D