dual boot with linux

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
paolo

dual boot with linux

Post by paolo »

I like to install GhostBSD 3.5 Mate I dual boot with Antix Linux but I don't know how to do it.
From the installer of GhostBSD I don't understand how to create or resize my laptop's hard disk
to create a new slice for linux... and from linux is no possible to work on the GhostBSD slice.
Can you help me please ?
A-dog

Re: dual boot with linux

Post by A-dog »

download something like aptosid live cd, it has gparted which will resize your partition. If you use a uefi mainboard you could use its bootloader. Othewise,

Code: Select all

update-grub
, there is also for the uefi boards

Code: Select all

efibootmgr
that should be ran in linux.
As far as looking at the contents of other systems, or different HD's, I'm still trying to understand how. I'm not having much luck with fstabs or mount cmd.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Thanks A-dog

but I don't understand how resize the GhostBSD slice.
In the Gparted site (http://is.gd/M6y3Tb) is is write is not possible to shrink the Zfs partition :shock:
and ,to be honest... I don't know what to do

My laptop is a Hp Compaq NX 6310 (year 2005)
A-dog

Post by A-dog »

good point
wasn't thinking
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I its hard to say how to use Gparted when it is linux only, it will be essayer to know what you really want to with precise detail.

The installer of GhostBSD only support creating BSD partition if you want to re size a Linux partition you will have to do it before. If you confuse how to create partition on GhostBSD use the option auto label it will be easier.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Eric,
I like to create a dual boot system whit GhostBSD 3.5 Mate and Antix Linux on my laptop.

I have make some experiments today:

1) if I install Linux and I resize his partition, when I run the GhostBSD installer the installer see only the entire hard disk,
and not the single partition.
2) If I install GhostBSD I can't resize the Zfs partition using Gparted or another similar program.
3) If I create 2 partitions using Gparted before install the 2 OS the GhostBSD installer see only the entire hard disk,and not the single partition.

After all these esperiments I have now installed only GhostBSD :)

Please excuseme for my bad english :oops:
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

First GhostBSD install only from ufs.
If you want to install both Linux and GhostBSD, I recommend you to install GhostBSD first on the half of the disk and install antix after, and modify your linux grub to boot GhostBSD.
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

How much space do I need to set aside for Ghostbsd to run? I allowed Ghostbsd to take up my 500 gig hard drive on my laptop. I see three partitions in 'lmde' live but gparted doesn't recognize them to resize them. I assume the first is a boot partition, the second the root, and the third a swap. In Linux, I usually allow 15 - 20 gigs for root another 15 for swap and 500 mb for the gpt bios grub. Can I get away with that on bsd?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

GHostBSD needs at least 10 Gig for the installation, if you do a boot for GPT, you need to put first 1mb boot and the rest it is basically like any GNU/Linux OS
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

So I created the partitions. Installed and booted into Ghost fine. Now the problem is that when I installed lmde after it, Linux can't read the partitions to include ghost in the grub menu and I can't get back into Ghost. I will have to reinstall Ghost again. Will the bsd boot loader pickup the Linux partitions?