Suspend/resume

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Suspend/resume

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Some people say that suspend/resume doesn't work on FreeBSD.

I have a Toshiba A205 laptop with GhostBSD10.3 64bit and I have suspend/resume working almost flawlessly.
When I first tried to get it working, I would shut the lid and nothing would happen.
I put this in my /etc/sysctl.conf:

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3

I then rebooted and went to the Xfce power manager and now I have options for what should happen when I shut the lid. I left these to default (lock screen).

and now when the lid is shut, the laptop goes to sleep with the hard-drive spins down. I then open the lid and everything resumes perfectly. I have yet to find any problems. i.e dead usb ports, no wifi etc

Also under System in the Xfce power manager I have set System sleep mode to suspend when inactive for 15 minutes on battery and plugged and this also works perfectly. I just have to press the Enter key (or probably any other) and the machine resumes perfectly.

The bad news is that this seems to be broken on FreeBSD11.1 and therefore GhostBSD 11.1. :(

Here are some hints to get it working https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/48754/ and here https://wiki.freebsd.org/SuspendResume

Does anyone else have any suspend/resume stories, good or bad?
hank2000

Re: Suspend/resume

Post by hank2000 »

Hi

I did not change anything concerning power manager or suspend on my GhostBSD11.1 beta installation but I encounter a reboot or re-login now and then when I leave the desktop unattended!
As this happend irregularly I could not find any reproducing time schedule or a special task that was running at that time.
Once, Firefox was open, the next time, just XFCE was running without any open programs.

best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, Achim.
That's unusual. The only thing that happens on my desktop when I leave it inactive is the screen goes blank, which comes back on after I move the mouse.
The only configuring I've done on my desktop power management is to set the display power management on and set it to blank after about 50 minutes.

Are you saying that your computer reboots itself ?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hi Neville

well, can only say that after comin back into the room, I had a new login screen before me, no blank screen or hint for any logoff.
will have a look into the logfiles if I can find s.th.

Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, the only error message I found, was an "dropping of unresponsive client" in connection with 'devd' when shutdown is done...
but no real hint for a new login when desktop is idle?
have to wait, if it happens again to get a precise "time stamp" for this.

could only think of the USB stick, where Ghost is installed, as both Windows 7 or Debian Linux don t show this behaviour so far!
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

If I understand what's happening to your computer you may have a memory problem.
I had a memory problem once and my computer would randomly reboot itself. I switched the ram sticks to different slots and the problem went away.
Is this what is happening to your computer? i.e random reboots.

I apologise if I did not read your first post correctly.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, I d agree with You if it EVER happend with Windows 7 (starter) or Debian or Linux Mint 17 before.
I always had a dual-boot on this netbook and this behaviour never happend there?!
but maybe 1GB RAM IS insufficient for Ghost/FreeBSD 11.1?
btw: had two memory checks via Debian based rescue CD before without negative results...

best
Achim
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Suspend and resume work on some hardware and some it does not work!

On my ThinkPad T530 it does work fine, but on my ThinkPad X1Carbon 3 Gen it does not work.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ericbsd wrote:Suspend and resume work on some hardware and some it does not work!

On my ThinkPad T530 it does work fine, but on my ThinkPad X1Carbon 3 Gen it does not work.
So we should monitor this and see for more occasions when it exactly happens?
Since last upd from 26th I hadn t any strange behaviour.
Best Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

You're right ericbsd about suspend/resume not working on some hardware. I should have made that a lot clearer in my post.