system-config-printer utility problems

Support for other hardware categories not listed below.
madbox

system-config-printer utility problems

Post by madbox »

I have two questions concerning the system-config-printer utility.

Firstly, after a printer is installed (in my case an hp all-in-one printer), when you select the icon of the printer and right-click to select "properties", the printer properties window will not open as per usual. I suspect a missing package?

Also, in the same system-config-printer utility, using the "add printer" function, the "windows printer via samba" browse button is not available. It says it requires "pysmbc" to function, however there is no "pysmbc" package to be found. I need it to access a windows print server/imagesetter on my LAN via samba

Would anyone know what package(s) would be needed for either of the above?
Thanks.
ASX

Re: system-config-printer utility problems

Post by ASX »

It is a lot of time I do not configure printers on smb networks, however you should be able to configure the printer by specifying the complete URI:

smb://192.168.0.xx/group/shared_name

That should work even if system-config-printer is not "fully featured".
madbox

Post by madbox »

Thanks for the reply.

I can set up the printer this way, however when I try to send a test page, it returns an error "Can't load /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf - run testparm to debug it"

Testparm returns with "Error loading services". Any ideas?
ASX

Post by ASX »

madbox wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I can set up the printer this way, however when I try to send a test page, it returns an error "Can't load /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf - run testparm to debug it"

Testparm returns with "Error loading services". Any ideas?
Hmm ... I guess you need to install samba pkg ...not sure really, but you can try.
madbox

Post by madbox »

Ok ASX, you were warm... samba44 was indeed installed but not enabled.

So after editing: samba_server_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
and create a file:/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
And in terminal: service samba_server start

We are good to go.

Also I realize that if you use the cups administrator utility in your browser, for example (https://localhost:631/printers/), you have much more control over LAN/printing than the system-config-printer utility, but still it would be nice if the properties section was functional in system-config-printer. There is definitely a bug there.

Maybe installing system-config-printer from ports would be better, but that's another topic.
ASX

Post by ASX »

madbox wrote:Ok ASX, you were warm... samba44 was indeed installed but not enabled.

So after editing: samba_server_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf
and create a file:/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
And in terminal: service samba_server start

We are good to go.

Also I realize that if you use the cups administrator utility in your browser, for example (https://localhost:631/printers/), you have much more control over LAN/printing than the system-config-printer utility, but still it would be nice if the properties section was functional in system-config-printer. There is definitely a bug there.
Maybe there is a bug, I guess not many GhostBSD/FreeBSD users run a smb network, so these thing went unnoticed or not reported.
Maybe installing system-config-printer from ports would be better, but that's another topic.
Entirely possible that there are options that might be interesting, in which case I invite you to post about, here, or better on our tracker http://issues.ghostbsd.org, so that we have a chance to improve our repos ;)