I need help to configure Grub using Grub Customizer

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
Boki

I need help to configure Grub using Grub Customizer

Post by Boki »

Hi there,

I need help for adding an entry for BSD from Linux using Grub Customizer. I got Super Grub Disk on USB, and he don't recognize BSD as a system, means if I need to go back to my GhostBSD, I need to add an entry using Grub Customizer (much easier, i'm not familiar to edit the config file)

I hope to get a response from you. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
ASX

Re: I need help to configure Grub using Grub Customizer

Post by ASX »

You are clearly using a linux provided grub, which msot likely is not configured to detect a FreeBSD filesystem.

I know nothing about grub customizer, nor super grub disk, but I can help you to setup a grub entry in grub.cfg, provided you post the following info:

- partition table type (msdos or GPT)
- disks layout (gpart show -p, or eventually fdisk -l, parted -l ... etc, need to know the exact partitions where GhostBSD is installed)
- also need to know if you used UFS or ZFS for your GhostBSD install, although that should be visible from partition layout info.
Boki

Post by Boki »

Thank you for answering me. It's nice to see people listen to your problems :)

ok it was a MSDOS partition table, ufs file system from BSD is on sda 4, and to know I tried meanwhile to install net BSD, but he doesn't wanted to boot. I was planning to reinstall immediately GhostBSD, but I messed up my package manager (has nothing to do with this, I just can't leave it as it was). So, immediately after the repair of my database I was going to reinstall GhostBSD.

I wanted to know the operation for later. Last time I used default, and it was ZFS as far as I remember.

Anyway I am going to use same partition for a new installation of GhostBSD, that means sda4, and I will use ZFS, with MSDOS partition table. If you know a way for recognizing my other systems from GhostBSD, I'm interested too. But it's much easier to do it from my Linux: my linux system iso have super grub disk bundled, so when I mess up my MBR, I can still find my Linux partitions from USB, then I use Grub Customiser to restore, and it's done, nice and easy. Then if I can add BSD on my Grub, it would be really nice.

Oh by the way, GhostBSD looks really nice. I have seen many programs available in the package manager. A PC is in my case also for fun, so it's nice to see that games haven't been forgotten.

Best regards
Attachments
a screen of gparted
a screen of gparted
Boki

Post by Boki »

Okay. Got complications, and lost everything.

I'm right now in openBSD LIve USB. When I was trying to install, I get an error message. It complain about the swap. It says "cannot create swap partition".

Anyway, I'll try to get a working BSD, then install Linux again, then I was going to need to know how to modify my grub.

I'll update later

Best regards.
Boki

Post by Boki »

Okay. I updated GhostBSD System after a brand new install, and i doesn't start graphically anymore. I installed it once again, and the second time it has done the same after the system update. So for now, I'll pass.

But it would be cool to know what can I do next time. :?

My current SSD status is:
my current gparted status
my current gparted status
Thank you very much in advance.

Note : sda8 is bsd swap, sda1 is bios boot, and sda3 is the main system, i think it was UFS (finally... XD)

My hardware is this one :

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?probe=3147530eb1
ASX

Post by ASX »

Boki wrote:Okay. I updated GhostBSD System after a brand new install, and i doesn't start graphically anymore. I installed it once again, and the second time it has done the same after the system update. So for now, I'll pass.

But it would be cool to know what can I do next time. :?
You have an intel graphics adapter, and what happened is that a pkg update (Xorg) previously autodetected your cards, but it didn't after the update.

Not your fault, and not ours too. For 10.3 we rely on FreeBSD pkg repositories, starting from the upcoming GhostBSD 11.1 we rely on our own pkgs repositories, exactly to prevent issues like yours.

In fact, we have prepared our repos with provision to fallback to a "previus" repository, and easily recover from issue like the one you have met.

I would invite you to install GhostBSD 11.1 (actually available as ALPHA, yet it is based on FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE) and test yourself.
Boki

Post by Boki »

okay, no problem, I will.

I like this system, it would be cool to have one working system.

I think in the future you should add an "expert partitionner" option. I've had more than 5 systems into one computer sometimes. Technology is a pleasure, so having a new system is always an adventure.