Some (GhostBSD, FreeBSD, PC) BSD questions

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
petterk

Some (GhostBSD, FreeBSD, PC) BSD questions

Post by petterk »

Hi,

I've been a Linux (only) user since about 2005, and have been closely following the BSD scene aswell.

It is to my understanding not as easy to setup software RAID in BSD's as in Linux, so I have a few questions:

* Is it possbile to install GhostBSD with Software RAID(0)? And is it possible through the installer?

* Is it possible to install GhostBSD with ZFS through the installer? And can I select any options, such as compression etc?

And also - the graphical package manager that follows the GhostBSD - does it use ports or does it use binarys? And is it a dedicated mirror just for GhostBSD or FreeBSD in general?

Thats all! Thanks! :)
petterk

Re: Some (GhostBSD, FreeBSD, PC) BSD questions

Post by petterk »

I take it as a bad sign that noone is replying on such simple questions, hence the community might not be that big.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

hi petterk,

PC-BSD will better for you. PC-BSD is Desktop and server oriented, GhostBSD is Desktop oriented only, but it is possible to do it like FreeBSD.
Its not hard to do with BSD's we have all the tool by default, but if your afraid of command line this will give you a hard time.

If you want to have everything done from gui go for PC-BSD.
Last edited by adripillo12 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PC-BSD not PCBSD :)
petterk

Post by petterk »

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I dont need GUIs, but I am new to the BSD world, and I understand that it's quite different from Linux.

Anyway, I tried to install GhostBSD 3.5, but there are a couple of bugs that did not let me install the way I wanted to:

* You cant specify multiple disks in mount points - You get an error when the install starts, the installer tries to create the partitions I made on my ada1 disk, on the ada0 disk. It does not know the difference between the two disks. I have 2 SSD's, and want to use both for the system, like ada1 on /usr/ and the rest for ada0. Did not work.

* Even when I chose to install to only one of the disks, when the installer completed, it returned an error (when I think it was trying to install the boot loader)

I am currently using PC-BSD, but this is not what I wanted, really. Too much bloat and too much GUIs. I dont like the fact that

Code: Select all

pkg_add
are replaced by

Code: Select all

pbi_add
and such.
Last edited by adripillo12 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is not Im, doesnt, didnt. Read the Forum rules please. Thanks.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

For the moment GhostBSD can only be install in one disk, I am working on new partition manager that will make it possible to add feature like adding GhostBSD on multiple disk.
petterk

Post by petterk »

Thanks, that would be awesome.

Also - I hear people getting the Intel Centrino Advanced 6235-N to work with the iwn driver, but I could not get it to work. I also hear there's a patch for it. Do you know anything about it?
Last edited by adripillo12 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: http://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=102
rare

Post by rare »

OK thanks, I will give the 3.1 version a go and let you know if it works. :D
Get free demos for ccna exam and mcts exam with tshoot guaranteed success. Our best quality ccnp voice prepares you well before appearing in the final exams of www.bgsp.edu and mcts with Quincy University