GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
ericbsd
Developer

Re: GhostBSD and OpenRC

Post by ericbsd »

Since there is new init system being develop mainly fro FreeBSD, this is might me a possibility in the future, but not any time soon. Since the base system will be maintain with pkg, that would make it possible and it is probably why FreeBSD is adopting base pkg's and Kris More is now in the FreeBSD core team he probably know lot more about the future of FreeBSD, and that is probably why he is making change that for use does not make sense.

The only thing I know is that FreeBSD is working on packaging the base and this would make FreeBSD more versatile when it come to the base, which would make it possible to switch of init. I try to follow FreeBSD development closely, not always easy, but BSDNow is a good source of knowledge.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Perhaps I should make a couple of things clear. Kris Moore himself claims that boot times are much faster with OpenRC. He says that boot times in his i7 CPU SSD equipped laptop went from 1 minute 20 seconds to 20 seconds. But if changing to OpenRC means a break from FreeBSD ecosystem then definitely forget about it. ASX is right. ZFS is no slower than UFS. In fact it may be a little faster. I installed ZFS Enoch over UFS Enoch on my old laptop and speed and boot times and general performance were actually a bit faster. GhostBSD boots much faster than PCBSD.
I agree with ericbsd. A great OS is stable, secure and has good performance on run time, not a quick boot up time OS that breaks after every update.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:But if changing to OpenRC means a break from FreeBSD ecosystem then definitely forget about it.

[...]

A great OS is stable, secure and has good performance on run time, not a quick boot up time OS that breaks after every update.
Going down the OpenRC road would not mean that the OS breaks on every update. In fact I'm quite confident that it would not mean much trouble in case of updates during the life-cycle of any release. It would however complicate things whenever GhostBSD moves to a new release like 12.0 or to a lesser degree probably with 11.1.

A desktop OS is not a server OS and I insist that quicker faster time is a huge plus. However we have to ask us if it's worth the side-effects. And this is what ASX warned about: Currently GhostBSD basically is "FreeBSD plus a bunch of packages and configuration". TrueOS for example tracks FreeBSD current but makes some pretty heave modifications. For a small team like us it is of course much easier not to make intrusive modifications but relay on the quality of vanilla FreeBSD as the unaltered base for our desktop spin of it.

But as Eric said: FreeBSD is going for packaged base (likely with 11.1 but it's available as an experimental feature in 11.0 as well) and that would make it possible to provide the user with the option to use either init system. IMO this is what we should look at some time in the future. Perhaps with 11.1 or even later. I'd kind of need faster startup times but for the project as a whole I don't think it's that important right now.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks for the info and the reply kraileth. Please understand I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I agree that a faster system would be a huge plus. I just thought it would be possible to replace the current init system in GhostBSD with OpenRC without any negative side affects at all, since it is BSD software. Thanks for all your work you, ASX, ericbsd and anyone else does on GhostBSD.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Thanks for the info and the reply kraileth. Please understand I wasn't disagreeing with what you said.
No problem, I didn't read your post like that. I just wanted to point out that you had misunderstood the stability issue. But hey, this is GhostBSD and not some sort of sect - if you should disagree on some topic, that's fine and feel free to voice your opinion. A lot of projects are driven forward by pretty big egos, but from what I can say, GhostBSD tries to be different and friendly. No gurus or benevolent dictators here. We're all just mere mortals. ;)
I just thought it would be possible to replace the current init system in GhostBSD with OpenRC without any negative side affects at all, since it is BSD software.
Yes, it's BSD licensed but it was geared mainly towards Gentoo Linux. But I think quite some commits went in from people working on TrueOS. So if at any point we should consider making OpenRC available on GhostBSD it should already work pretty well with FreeBSD based systems!
Thanks for all your work you, ASX, ericbsd and anyone else does on GhostBSD.
You're welcome! Glad you enjoy our favorite OS. :)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

It's my favourite OS, too. 8-)
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

By the way, kraileth, if you know how to replace the init system with OpenRC let me know how to do it and I'll try it out.
I'll let you know how it turns out :lol:
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The right place to dig would be at TrueOS GitHub I guess.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Thanks, ericbsd. I'll look into it. :)
dave-570

Post by dave-570 »

All I have to say about boot times and OpenRC is " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me being a suspicious person, and the programmer who wrote systemd being and "Employee" of Red hat, I think after red Hat has all of the Linux developers totally sucked into systemd, they will copyright it and the Linux will just be another Windows. Now because the programmer, I can't think of his name, is an employee, anything he codes is the property of Red hat!! I hope I'm wrong but the way every one jumped on systemd just seemed rather strange to me. Now there are some packages that won't even run without systemd, (windows syndrome again). I moved to the BSDs because i wanted a choice, besides the BSDs are much better.