"freebsd-update upgrade" and GhostBSD

Post your general questions or comments about GhostBSD here!
ericbsd
Developer

Re: "freebsd-update upgrade" and GhostBSD

Post by ericbsd »

To make GhostBSD semi rolling release, it would be simpler and you can almost all ready do it by making a change in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf replace quarterly by latest to be more hardcore you could use ports.

I might be able to pull this of for 11.0 and make a new release every month or 2, this way new user would not a have system that brook every time they install to update a 3 to 12 month old set of pkg. This might be the best solution for the moment I have been thinking of this for the last 6 month, and for me it could be the best thing to do because, I could focus on one feature and bug fix and release a new system when that new feature is fully working and always have a stable release with latest packages.

I have no idea what ASX would thing about this.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:To make GhostBSD semi rolling release, it would be simpler and you can almost all ready do it by making a change in /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf replace quarterly by latest to be more hardcore you could use ports.
Actually I'm strongly in favor of rolling release model ... but ... we need to setup our infrastructure properly for make it happen, which means basically have our own repository up and running and maintained weekly. We are not that far from that really.

The other feature, in my opinion high valuable for a rolling release OS, is the ability to rollback, that could be accomplished by using "boot environments adm", but that imply using rootfs on ZFS.
I might be able to pull this of for 11.0 and make a new release every month or 2, this way new user would not a have system that brook every time they install to update a 3 to 12 month old set of pkg. This might be the best solution for the moment I have been thinking of this for the last 6 month, and for me it could be the best thing to do because, I could focus on one feature and bug fix and release a new system when that new feature is fully working and always have a stable release with latest packages.

I have no idea what ASX would thing about this.
I have been using the "latest" repository and "head branch of ports" for some time now (more than a year), and usually things just works, however I had a couple of serious issues: libreoffice broken for one day or so, nvidia driver problem at one time. and a few other minor things ... If I had to use libreoffice for work that would have been a big pain.

By setting our own repository, we can filter out some of this issues of behalf of our users, but it is a lot of work, basically we are a too small community to make it seriously ... we need to grow up.

Making a rolling release based on quarterly repository and port branch appear a little more difficult to setup, but also less work for us on average, less update, many problems filtered out upstream.

So, for now, I would be happy enough to setup our own repository, we will think more about the rolling release model in the next months.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Oh point is that GhostBSD 10.1 if any one download it and run update some package will break, because lots package is changing and it is running on latest, but even with quarterly after a year the same problem might happen. But if we release more often this could be avoided, but there is some inevitable problem that could occur for people that have the system already installed.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:Oh point is that GhostBSD 10.1 if any one download it and run update some package will break, because lots package is changing and it is running on latest, but even with quarterly after a year the same problem might happen. But if we release more often this could be avoided, but there is some inevitable problem that could occur for people that have the system already installed.
On a rolling release OS, a user is supposed to update/upgrade frequently in a timely manner, say at least once per month and preferably weekly or more frequently. Anyway, the update-manager coupled with our own repository would do it nicely.

People who have old system installed will upgrade, we can assist them here on forum, I don't see much troubles, at the worst they will reinstall. If we are going "rolling", that will be from 11.x onward only. We haven't to support "rolling" on 10.x.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yeah you are right, 10.* would not be supported, only all release that will come after the release that we start supporting this.

I am looking in to how to make possible all this from the update-manager. At one point it need to be able to update of GhostBSD version.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:I am looking in to how to make possible all this from the update-manager. At one point it need to be able to update of GhostBSD version.
We will make our own repository live first! That's the first step.

I have been building and using my own (personal) repository for some time now, to fully understand the problems around repository management. (i.e. port configurations, build requirements, storage requirements, and so on).

I still need to dig into cross building for i386 arch and using multiple sources ... (doing that these days).

To switch to next version we will need some input from user, (at least until we live on top of XX.X-RELEASE). and by that time we will need to have at least two repository alive, say 11.x and 12.x. (and both for i386 and amd64).
vaisarger

Post by vaisarger »

Here I am! :D
vaisarger wrote:Many thanks ASX for replay... fog is starting to disappear... :oops:

So is correct procedure to upgrade GhostBSD like so?
#freebsd-update fetch install
#freebsd-update -r 10.X upgrade
I did upgrade to 10.3 release (without problem).

Now: which are next step related to specific GhostBSD tools, as I resumed here
#github...
#cd /usr/ports/path to ghostbsd customizations
#make install clean
...I saw the GhostBSD git repo... there are several things... which precisely are to download and compile, and how?
ASX

Post by ASX »

After upgrading from 10.x to 10.3 you don't need to upgrade / reinstall packages: FreeBSD / GhostBSD guarantee ABI compatibility across a major release (10.1, 10.2, 10.3).

Packages re installation is needed only after upgrading to a new major release, like from 10.x to 11.x.

Now, I don't want to post incomplete (or possibly wrong info) about how to perform this re installation, considering that I'm going to do some testing very soon.

(If we will be able to setup our own repo soon enough, all the process will resolve in a simple 'pkg upgrade') :mrgreen: :D
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The upgrade of 10.X to 11.X is not that mush complicate, because the freebsd-update tell you the command needed to do the pkg upgrade. I did it to time without any issue.
ASX

Post by ASX »

ericbsd wrote:The upgrade of 10.X to 11.X is not that mush complicate, because the freebsd-update tell you the command needed to do the pkg upgrade. I did it to time without any issue.
hmm ... except for GhostBSD own packages ...