stuck at login, cannot access GUI

Questions about the installation of FreeBSD
usman4575

stuck at login, cannot access GUI

Post by usman4575 »

Hi,
Since morning i have been trying to isntall ghostbsd as my sole system as i have fiddled long enough after shifting from windows about a year ago and wanted to get to bsd. I have tried iso file by changing its extension to img and burning it using diskimg and flushnel through windows (inititally tried using rufus, unetbootin etc but failed totallY). Now ghostbsd boot to login screen but not to the mate environment where i tried running, i put in root as login and pressing enter on pw and getting root. but when i enter startx it fails.
where am i wrong and how can i fix this thing. tell me a way to boot directly to mate?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: stuck at login, cannot access GUI

Post by ericbsd »

What is you Graphic Card? Sound like it is not supported. Also what version of GhostBSD?
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

ghostbsd 10.1 and old thinkpad t400 with built in intel graphics card
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You should try 10.3 RC1 it is more stable than 10.1, I just did updated our website.
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

ok, i will download that now. by the way i have also downloaded ghostbsd 4 with img file also to see if img works better than the iso. and sorry i was trying it on my dell vostro 3550 not on thinkpad.
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

how can i download this 10.3 RC1, when i download file from sourceforge it's just a plain text file with no download link?
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

ok, i was able to start download but links are too slow, if possible give me a torrent link please.
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

which tool should i use to create bootable USB? I have tried different but nothing seems to work well except i believe "flashnul" but i think it has destroyed one of my 8GB USB drive. Kindly advise regarding a tool to burn a USB drive.
usman4575

Post by usman4575 »

ok, finally i have figured out the problem. It's the graphics card on my dell vostro 3550 (core i5) which is probably incompatible because when i tested it on my thinkpad it ran smoothly (in fact right now i am on ghostbsd writing this thing) but on vostro the screen remained blank. I tried ghostbsd 4.0, will the 10.3 rc1 support graphics card on vostro, is it possible to get the graphics card? is it possible to install any other bsd flavour like PC-BSD or even freebsd and then add a desktop? Please guide me as i plan to switch to BSD permanently. thanks a lot.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am sorry to not have reply before I get busy to a point that sometime I miss email coming from here. FreeBSD handbook https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bo ... #x-install is really useful to install desktop. In root pkg install xorg mate will install xorg and MATE it also work on GhostBSD. PCBSD can be install on the same disk. I have no real knowledge about Vostro. It you can give me what is the graphic card that is in your Vostro I might be able to help you.