Laptop Wifi and Terminal Windows

Help with issues concerning notebooks, laptops and netbooks.
leegold

Laptop Wifi and Terminal Windows

Post by leegold »

Hi,

Should I post here. I tried GhostBSD live on my laptop and it did not go well.

Laptop is HP 8710w

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c01491231

the iso is:

GhostBSD10.1-BETA1-i386.iso

The wifi did not work. the wifi did not turn on by default and pressing the laptop buton for wifi did not work. I looked for a config application but couldn. Like:

https://launchpad.net/wicd

couldn't find it.

I tried to open mate terminal, xterm to see if there was something like ifconfig and every time I tried opening a terminal the screen went blank for a few seconds then two identical error message boxes appeared on the top right and left of the desktop. It said something like: Vboxclient failed to connect to virtualbox kernal service rc=VERR_Fl...

Also sometimes a small window would appear asking about classic or purity station - maybe a tool tip explaining what this would help for a new live user...seems like it added flavor to desktop config...

Since I couldn't get wifi and could not open a terminal I decided to bail and reboot to my usual OS. I couldn't find a shutdown reboot option in the menus (I'm sure I must of missed it). So I did ALT-F2 and that worked and I reboot with that command window.

I'm getting to like the Linux distros I try less and less as they "improve" with new versions. Wanted to try GhostBSD but wifi and getting a terminal is obviously important. the md5 hash checks OK.

- - - - -
Last edited by leegold on Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Laptop Wifi and Terminal Windows

Post by ericbsd »

Yea you just put the finger on a problem that I have to fix before the next release. I have to much weird script that is interfering with the shell, that cause the problem in the terminal. Not much you can do right now, but I will fix that.
leegold

Post by leegold »

I bet there's a way to get my laptop wifi working but probably need a terminal 1st...the desktop looks very usable though...
ASX

Post by ASX »

leegold wrote:I bet there's a way to get my laptop wifi working but probably need a terminal 1st...the desktop looks very usable though...
You can temporarily work around this problem, using ALT+F2 to launch a shell, say bash, and ticking "run in terminal". ;)

The link you provided about your notebook contains generic specs, not enough to identify your wifi card, it says:
wireless support:
- Intel 802.11a/b/g/draft-n, a/b/g, b/g
- Broadcom 802.11a/b/g draft-n, a/b/g, b/g
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I have fixed this terminal issue it will show in the next beta.
leegold

Post by leegold »

Intel Wireless WiFi 4965AGN

is the wifi on my laptop.
ASX

Post by ASX »

leegold wrote:Intel Wireless WiFi 4965AGN

is the wifi on my laptop.
That is supported from iwn driver, see the related man page for config details, also check this section of the handbook:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/ha ... setup.html
leegold

Post by leegold »

has the terminal problem been fixed? can I open a terminal? I mean that's basic in X - a terminal...then I will try to get the wifi working...
ASX

Post by ASX »

yes, it was fixed: http://issues.ghostbsd.org/view.php?id=21
along with several other issues.

Please wait for announcements for the upcoming beta, the one available now is outdated.
leegold

Post by leegold »

Thanks, will try GhostBSD again soon.