Two questions about DragonflyBSD and this FreeBSD project

Need support for GhostBSD. Ask here if your question does not fit elsewhere.
micman09

Two questions about DragonflyBSD and this FreeBSD project

Post by micman09 »

Hello.

First of all, excuse me for my English. But also my compliments to Eric and the other developers of this project for their aim and work. I like the *BSD concept, file system organization and rationality. Potentially, it's a efficient and interesting software architecture. But I don't hide the big problems that I have met to install and try to use different BSD Systems. The only very good release that I was able to install and use of FreeBSD was the 7.2 release. After, and particularly with the introduction of the ZFS file system and the UEFI standard (my motherboard doesn't support it), the attempts to install this OS and use it in my forwarding laptops were very destructive. With GhostBSD I haven't this problem, but if I am able to use the live DVD, for one reason or another, after the installation I am not able to use the system. Especially for these reasons, I have decided to leave FreeBSD and his derivatives (also the installations of PC-BSD were almost all the time a fiasco and sometime a very destructive fiasco). I have excluded NetBSD because I was never able to launch the graphics interface with it, and but for the fact that from my point of view OpenBSD is too much conservative --but if you are attentive not destructive--, I have tried DragonflyBSD (DFBSD). The progresses of this last one are very fast, but like all other BSD operating systems, his big problem concerns the drivers. Now I have remarked that the developers of DFBSD are oriented themselves toward the conversion of modern drivers from Linux to DFBSD (if you are interested see here: https://www.dragonflybsd.org/release42/). I have installed this operating system and after the installation KDE using pkgin, and I can tell that the two are efficient, and KDE works faster than in some Linux distros that I have tried and I use. Nevertheless, I think that I'll change it for XFCE, because probably in this moment this last one is the better desktop environment for DFBSD for swiftness and reliability.
Shortly, I have two questions:
1) Is too much complicate to create a GhostBSD over a DFBSD system in place of FreeBSD?
2) Have you never thought at this possibility?

Thank you in advance.

Micman
bsdkeith

Re: Two questions about DragonflyBSD and this FreeBSD projec

Post by bsdkeith »

Eric is a FreeBSD user, & that is why FreeBSD is used as the base system, because he has knowledge of that flavour of BSD, & his main aim was/is to help new users into using FreeBSD, by creating a live installable version.
Linux user since 1999; & now a BSD user.
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

@micman09
If you would like help with installing FreeBSD, add a new post in the FreeBSD Help section.
micman09

Post by micman09 »

Thank you for your answer, but the aim of my question was another and certainly not an help about FreeBSD, at least not in this context.
Bonne continuation...
teron

Post by teron »

bsdkeith wrote:Eric is a FreeBSD user, & that is why FreeBSD is used as the base system, because he has knowledge of that flavour of BSD, & his main aim was/is to help new users into using FreeBSD, by creating a live installable version.
Do I wonder, because Eric, did not take as basic the project DesktopBSD that still exists? The developer left it for personal motives, and the project remained free. The Live ISO, still exists but is not updated since 2008, it was a complete project, an authentic FreeBSD.
bsdkeith

Post by bsdkeith »

According to their site, they are planning to release a version 2, but they favour QT & KDE, whereas GhostBSD favours GTK & (originally Gnome but now) the Mate desktop. So that will give a choice for new users. :)
http://www.desktopbsd.net/
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

For a hint XFCE is coming back.