I know that grub-legacy is much simpler, but grub2 introduced several extension to deal with more current filesystem, and possibly making simpler to extend it with future filesystem.scdbackup wrote:Hi,
i set up that system 7 years ago. AMD with 4 x 2.4 GHz, kvm-ready.
If i remember right, the master boot loader is GRUB Legacy, installed and
managed by the old Debian system. It chainloads partition boot loaders.
Main question is whether i should upgrade only FreeBSD or also the GNU/Linux
and pull NetBSD from qemu+kvm to real iron.
First part of any endeavor would be making backups of the current partitions
when they are not active.
All choices are up to you, depending on time and available hw.
Personally I would avoid virtualized environments in this specific case, the chance the that the vm layer introduce some side effect is very high, just my opinion.
Interesting, didn't knew about that, I also hope that the "per driver lock" (sound very weird just by its name, because implicitly exclude parallel use of the same driver) has been removed since then.I can use qemu+kvm on my Debians to pass a real DVD burner to a guest Debian
and then i can use it for SCSI command passthrough via the "vda" driver.
https://dev.lovelyhq.com/libburnia/web/ ... emuXorriso
But that's not good enough to get the kernel to handle the drive by the "sr"
driver. "sr" suffers from global mutexiosis. But we still have "sg" which
was not worth being mutexed back then, in the Big Kernel Lock Eradication
stampede. So i gave up my plan to test fixes for "sr" and rather made
xorriso ready for "sg", ye olde deprecated way of Linux 2.4.
https://dev.lovelyhq.com/libburnia/web/ ... entLinuxSr
I had never used optical drives that much, but the "mutexiosis" doesn't apply to sata disks, not to the same effect anyway.
However, by reading the corresponding email, https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/14/339, I get that some form of lock already existed and it was simply changed to mutex lock, and that should not have changed the behavior, like it seem it happened.
I'm wondering if it was an unwanted side effect, or some unexpected interaction between components, or something else entirely.