MATE 1.18 ports is ready for testing.

Open development discussions

Moderator: Developer

ericbsd
Developer

MATE 1.18 ports is ready for testing.

Post by ericbsd »

Eh I have work on porting MATE 1.18 to FreeBSD here is the ports https://github.com/ericbsd/freebsd-port ... /mate-1.18 if anyone is interested in building MATE 1.18 do so. Let me know and if there is any question I will answer and if there is any issue post it bellow.
kraileth

Re: MATE 1.18 ports is ready for testing.

Post by kraileth »

Promised some feedback and so here it is:

First: In the beginning it wasn't really obvious for me how to properly use this. I cloned the repo Friday night and used Synth to rebuild my system. On Saturday I noticed that I was still on 1.12. I took a look at the ports tree then at the repo on github and noticed that I should have checked out branch mate-1.18 and not master...

I decided to free one pc so that I could have a test system and installed GhostBSD 11.0 Alpha1 on in (while watching BSDNow in parallel since it took me > 30 attempts to make it as far as the installer appearing...). Cloned the repo again and changed branches. Then I cleaned up the system a bit (who needs Shotwell and the like on a test system?), installed Synth and ran upgrade-system. Things mostly worked except for Caja (and 5 subsequent packages) but you already wrote in the other thread that you're aware of that. So I built Caja and the other packages from ports and did a pkg autoremove.

Everything was looking nicely at first glance! However I wanted to make sure that it also builds against a current ports tree. So: mv /usr/ports /usr/ports.mate && portsnap fetch extract. Then I deleted the directories of the old mate ports (so that no old patches get in the way) and copied the following ports over into the current tree (did I miss anything?):

Code: Select all

archivers/engrampa
audio/libmatemixer
audio/mate-media
deskutils/caja-extensions
deskutils/mate-notification-daemon
deskutils/mate-utils
deskutils/mozo
deskutils/mate-common
editors/pluma
graphics/atril
graphics/eom
net/libmateweather
sysutils/mate-control-center
sysutils/mate-polkit
sysutils/mate-power-manager
sysutils/mate-settings-daemon
sysutils/mate-system-monitor
x11/libmatekbd
x11/mate
x11/mate-applets
x11/mate-base
x11/mate-desktop
x11/mate-menus
x11/mate-panel
x11/mate-screensaver
x11/mate-session-manager
x11/mate-terminal
x11-fm/caja
x11-themes/mate-backgrounds
x11-themes/mate-icon-theme
x11-themes/mate-icon-theme-faenza
x11-themes/mate-themes
x11-wm/marco
Then I found out that those ports won't build. I figured that I had to copy over Mk/Uses/mate.mk as well. After doing that I was able to build again.

Yesterday evening another port update came in and updated some mk files and broke multiple ports. E.g. sysutils/mate-settings-daemon fails with

Code: Select all

make: "/usr/ports/Mk/Uses/mate.mk" line 153: cannot install: Unknown component USE_MATE=mixer
Copying over Mk/Uses/mate.mk fixes this again. But this is a bit tedious of course. I'm really looking forward to have MATE 1.18 in regular ports in the future!

I wanted to write something about how MATE 1.18 works for me, too, but I'm already late for work and have to leave now. Will report back in the evening.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

You have to delete your /usr/ports and​ replace it with with the mate-1.18 tree.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

ericbsd wrote:You have to delete your /usr/ports and​ replace it with with the mate-1.18 tree.
That's what I did first and it worked. But then I decided that I wanted to have current ports and merge the new MATE into the tree. It also worked after copying things around.

Now here's my report about MATE 1.18:

Once it's installed, it mostly works like a charm! Didn't really like it on Arch Linux but with our themes it looks pretty nice. Problems so far:
  • mate-power-preferen crashes on start and dumps core
  • I experience graphicel glitches on some tooltips
But that's all that I found so far the rest seems to just work. The crash is reproducible, the application crashes every time I start it. The tooltip glitches seem more likely to happen with longer tooltips. I placed several starters in my upper panel and for Firefox, Terminator and a few others this has never happened. For Chromium and Virtualbox it happens frequently. But for the menu it happens all the time: Just point your cursor on " applications", "places" or "system" and you'll see the panel blinking where there should be a tooltip.

Things quickly tested that seem to work:
  • Atril - Opening and browsing pdfs works
  • Caja - browsing directories and copying stuff works (haven't copied a large number of files, thoug, so I had no chance to test the pause option)
  • Engrampa - browsing and extracting compressed tarballs works
  • EoM - can load and display jpeg files
  • Marco - works, I didn't notice any problem
  • Mate control center - works
  • Mate panel - works except for the glitches
  • Mate terminal - works as expected
  • Pluma - Can load and save text files
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hey ericbsd. Could you give me some directions on how to build MATE? I'd love to try it out. I've never used Synth.
Thanks.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Hey ericbsd. Could you give me some directions on how to build MATE? I'd love to try it out. I've never used Synth.
Thanks.
Allow me to answer this instead: I wanted to write about Synth for a while now. Just created a post (viewtopic.php?f=72&t=689) that could evolve into an article on the wiki. It's not complete, yet, but should give you some ideas regarding Synth. Feel free to comment or ask questions!
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

Found another issue with MATE 1.18:

Sometimes the "blinking glitch" also happens within submenus of Caja. I've noticed this when right-clicking an html file and choosing "open with". The submenu has various browsers and editors and whenever I highlight one of them, the selected one starts "blinking". Doing the same with e.g. a log file, the submenu is just fine. Right-clicking an image (a png file in my case) leads to the glitch happening in the main context menu for the EOM and GIMP entries - and the menu keeps losing and adding those! Really strange stuff. If I had to guess, it could be something with trying to read file contents: The preview thumbnails for pictures don't seem to work anymore nor does the content preview for text files. PDF file thumbnails seem to work however! Strange...

BTW., Eric: I fixed the Caja 1.18 port so that it builds fine with Synth now. Created a pull request for it.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

I couldn't install Mate 11-ALPHA on my laptop. I tried many times but couldn't get to the desktop. When I finally did get to the desktop I started the install but it would stop with en error after about 2 minutes.
I tried to make my own ISO but that would stop just after the grub menu. I f anyone knows the commands to get it to the desktop I'd like to know.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

NevilleGoddard wrote:I couldn't install Mate 11-ALPHA on my laptop. I tried many times but couldn't get to the desktop. When I finally did get to the desktop I started the install but it would stop with en error after about 2 minutes.
I tried to make my own ISO but that would stop just after the grub menu. I f anyone knows the commands to get it to the desktop I'd like to know.
Don't waste any time on that - ALPHA-1 is horribly broken. Eric tried something out which proved to have severe side-effects. As soon as the repos are ready, a new ALPHA-2 can be made which should solve these problems.
kraileth

Post by kraileth »

I've been using the new MATE for a while now and it works pretty well for the most part. When I rebuilt packages on my system using the latest ports (and substituting the old MATE for the new one again), the flashing panel tool tips are gone now. However there has been a regression: Glitches now appear on the desktop. It looks like it's not redrawn properly. When I draw boxes, those stay on the screen and will only go away when I move a window over the areas with the glitches. Here's a screenshot of it:
Attachments
desktop_glitches.png