Suspend/resume

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Re: Suspend/resume

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Hi, Achim.
1gb of ram is fine for FreeBSD, even with ZFS supposedly.
I don't know how heavy MATE is but with lightweight Xfce you should be OK.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there

No big deal for excuse Neville, not every hardware gets along with every software. The most 'natural' thing in the world. :D
But I found out, my aging netbook harddrive isn t much relyable anymore, therefor could be the cause for the reboots, although there wasn t any since sept. 26th updates..
The only strange thing left, is the missing support for DVD burning, which works with Debian, Linux Mint 17 and W7 starter but not under GhostBSD, neither 10.3 nor 11.x!
Always ejects the media BEFORE actual burning process starts (ext. USB drive always)!

Best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:Hi, Achim.
1gb of ram is fine for FreeBSD, even with ZFS supposedly.
I don't know how heavy MATE is but with lightweight Xfce you should be OK.
Yes mate.
That s my opinion as well. Always use XFCE therefor. On openSuSe as well.
Only heavy video usage brings system in stress but that s clear... ;)
Best
Achim
frogprince

Post by frogprince »

On my 11.1 system, "suspend" will suspend, but not reawaken; I have to force the hardware to shut down and then reboot. I've had difficulty with acpi-related functions in the past with both BSD and Linux, and did some fair research. My conclusion was that anything acpi-related depends strongly on the bios or UEFI version, and is therefore hardware dependent. In my case, my boot time from mobo screen to MATE is about 75 seconds, so I've simply gotten into the habit of shutting it down. No distribution can test all the possible hardware configs.
Vas you efer in Zinzinnati? Asus F1A75-M, AMD A8-3870 APU, 6 GB DDR3/120 GB SSD, GeForce 210, missing front drive panel just like its owner.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

A really easy test is just to boot up a FreeBSD install disc and go to the prompt and type zzz.

Quickly tests if sleep works with your hardware for that version.

11.1 works for me on all my computers, and 12 on none.

OpenBSD apparently has fairly good support and seems to work for most systems.

Windows basically works with everything and Linux is pretty flawless as well in that matter.
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

I guess what I said isn't fully correct. Suspend worked when I installed FreeBSD 12 even though it didn't off of the boot disk.