GhostBSD 11.1beta1

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: GhostBSD 11.1beta1

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:chromium: it appear there are issues (limited to i386 arch) currently under investigation: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/62000/
Sounds reasonable to me.
And with 1GB RAM mght worsen the problem. I ll check with 'Seamonkey' and 'Midori' - both run best on Ghost 10.3 - and see how it gets along..
Sorry, that I cant be of more help with my less superior equipment at the mom. - due to sad job situation have to keep money tog. Next year... ;)

Best
Achim
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

The newest Firefox (55) is much faster than previous versions. Faster than Chromuim, I believe.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

NevilleGoddard wrote:The newest Firefox (55) is much faster than previous versions. Faster than Chromuim, I believe.
yeah, that "Chromuim" isn t a runner, but "Chromium" neither Neville! :lol:
ok, enough of stupid jokes here, indeed Seamonkey (as the suite sitting on Gecko/Firefox) is running ### well on GhostBSD, EVEN with 1GB, a pity, that Mozilla isn t that successful on Linux: with all the crashes I have there and no way to "force" these browsers to use HTML5-audio instead of Flash ( at least til 2016 versions!) it was rather easy to switch to BSD for most radio listening and surfing online... ;)
tog. with VLC player I have now everything I need to listen, record and watch everything I like so far, maybe exept some obsure Apple codecs or whatever...
and about "burning":

sorry ASX, wasnt the medium like +R or -R, I tried some data burning with same medium/DVD burner, but on OpenSuse and it went fine with all tested mediums...
maybe it IS the low memory or something concerning USB writers in connection with BSD!?
best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

hank2000 wrote:maybe it IS the low memory or something concerning USB writers in connection with BSD!?
Very unlikely IMO, look like some identification issue, at FreeBSD-11.1 kernel driver level, that seems to be a regression considering you wrote it was working 10.3
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
hank2000 wrote:maybe it IS the low memory or something concerning USB writers in connection with BSD!?
Very unlikely IMO, look like some identification issue, at FreeBSD-11.1 kernel driver level, that seems to be a regression considering you wrote it was working 10.3
yep, could be!
I just burnt iso-images with GhostBSD 10.3 so far but everything else with Linux Mint on that same Asus eeePC and on my main laptop under OpenSuse, always with both DVD+R/-R (as Samsung/Toshiba says: "Multirecorder" ;) ) and with the same USB writer, as my internal HP is broken...and it worked most cases, of course with cheap stuff like some "Intenso" etc. there was trash as well...
most stuff with data or music/mp3 is put on external HDD usually, as I don t trust burned DVDs very much, even bought ones with music and/or movies "thrashed" after couple of years, then unplayable like Mike Oldfield CDs or Depeche Mode videos... :(

and one add. thing I found out for BOTH BSD and Linux: 'Brasero' as a burn solution worked much more reliable compared to 'xfburn' although this is promoted by Xfce!?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, tried now data stuff on DVD on 10.3 as well and got:
Attachments
Brasero error messages
Brasero error messages
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

hank2000 wrote:well, tried now data stuff on DVD on 10.3 as well and got:
immidiately, as I pressed "burn" the tray opened and the DVD came out, so guess, no memory prob here either.
will try further...
same project worked perfectly with a 700 MB CD...although less than 200 MB of data... :?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi folks

have strange behaviour with GhostBSD 11.1beta today.
Everything stayed the same but all of a sudden my system has an unstable login, it takes three or four times before the desktop keeps up.
Otherwise it suddenly logs off and the login screen comes again.
Found out: there are TWO "enable slim= YES" entries in rc.conf, is this normal?
and messages said twice upon start of X:
pulseaudio: "daemon is already running" [1177], [1180] rest of the messages looks normal so far.

I now deleted one "enable_slim" entry, cleared all caches, unhooked "saving session for further login" and tried a re-boot - then hooked that box again and said shutdown.
Now, 2x newly booted, it seems to stay stable.
Any idea what happend?

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

well, unfortunately I have to revise my latest update on 'burning'! :(

as it turned out, I can t burn DVDs under GhostBSD 10.3 as well, and it doesn t seem to be a memory problem, as it works perfectly fine with Linux Mint, installed as dual boot on the same laptop.
I copy the messages in here:
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2017-09-14_10-31-59.png
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

doesn t work with sudo/su neither as I get no connection to the USB drive on that...

maybe I got confused, cause I mainly backup music and bigger single files via ext. HDD!

best
Achim