Version 11.0

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Version 11.0

Post by ericbsd »

Happy New Year!
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ericbsd wrote:Happy New Year!
1) Happy New Year to You Eric and all "Ghosts" out there!

2) last test with "dd" via GhostBSD and the 11.0-PREALPHA3-version didn t work either, same effect: after booting on both Nokia and Asus eee, only blinking cursor, nothing else! :cry:
even manually changed boot order in all chapters of BIOS!

3) since 10.3 I experience a "frozen system/desktop" for about a minute, cursor and everything...
then it suddenly works/moves again on my Asus eee. :?

best Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

3) since 10.3 I experience a "frozen system/desktop" for about a minute, cursor and everything...
Please let us understand the context:
how much RAM is installed ?
Is there disk activity while frozen ? (look at disk led)
which applications are running (frozen) at that time ?
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
Please let us understand the context:
how much RAM is installed ?
Is there disk activity while frozen ? (look at disk led)
which applications are running (frozen) at that time ?
Hi there

the Asus eee has 1GB RAM, there IS activity - yes and no - but sporadic during frozen period and it takes up to 30 or 45 secs and suddenly the cursor moves again or lets me choose from the menu etc.!
Different applications are running or none at all, happens with Chromium or Firefox on or even without any apps started.
This effect couldn t be found on Linux Mint at all, even when waiting for half an hour or longer...
It s a built-in Intel graphics and a Seagate (uäääääh) HDD running.

That s all I can say at the moment.

2. topic:

Maybe it s something with the kind of USB stick or manufacturer tog. with BIOS and GhostBSD, that only blinking cursor occurs, because a "Transcend" stick with AROS system works perfect on both netbooks!
will try a third stick now with GhostBSD 11.x and let You know but: the "frozen issue" I think should have another thread as it happens under 10.3, right? ;)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi

2nd topic: bootable USB stick:

- Transcend stick with AROS booting just fine and working
- Hama, Scandisk and Silicon motion-sticks with GhostBSD-image do NOT boot (blinking cursor) - with the latter I get "missing operating system" after both versions of "dd" via Linux AND BSD (on both netbooks)??

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

btw, linux's dd or FreeBSD/GhostBSD's dd will do exactly the same thing, don't waste time trying both, they both work as intended.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:btw, linux's dd or FreeBSD/GhostBSD's dd will do exactly the same thing, don't waste time trying both, they both work as intended.
Hi there

yep, i thought so but wanted to see if these particular sticks used may react differently on "dd" on Linux and BSD!
was just a last attempt to rule out some possible obstacles as weired as they may look! ;)
Donnow what else to check to make a bootable USB stick work with BSD but in the meantime I think I ll concentrate to learn more about BSD and its features in general.
Hopefully I find a way for 11.0 on stick, next try is via USB HDD, we ll see... :)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric, ASX

as You see here, I m writing from my GhostBSD 10.3 system in this forum.
So THIS installation is complete.

I managed to install 11.0 prealpha on an external USB-HDD because with every stick (to install on) I got a blinking cursor or it said: "can t find a working root partition"!
as no network was detected via network manager I have to find out where s the problem and will then continue to try out this...

You ll get another feedback then. :)

best Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

Great news!

about the network manager, as far as I know just 2 days ago Eric fixed it for 11.x, anyway we can help to setup your network manually until the next ISO will be ready.
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

this should show the text!
this should show the text!
Ghost2_screenshot.jpg (120.87 KiB) Viewed 8182 times
ASX wrote:Great news!

about the network manager, as far as I know just 2 days ago Eric fixed it for 11.x, anyway we can help to setup your network manually until the next ISO will be ready.
well, the network is working now as well, but via steps from FAQ and console!
when I try via network manager, I get an error on not "possible to activate wlan0" and manager window closes??

then i tried to install add. packages via pkg as there s no OctoPkg etc.:
it did an update of pkg from 1.3.7 to version 1.9.4_1 but now every add. installation attempt wants a libpkg.so.3 by libc.so.7 in /usr/local to cont. ANY install or fetching of packages!
where s the hanging now? :(

best
Achim