Version 11.0

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
hank2000

Re: Version 11.0

Post by hank2000 »

and: cdmnt-install?? isn t this comin from the installation medium??? why this?? >>>solved!!!
seemed to be the USB ports:
both, DVD and HDD at neighbouring USB ports does not work, placing them at the Nokia Booklet 3G on opposite USB ports worked, strange....
but how was USB chipset done, two different ones, for the left and right side maybe??

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi Eric, ASX and colleagues

managed to re-install, adjust a view desktop settings and restart wlan so far on my Touro USB-HDD tog. with my Nokia Booklet 3G testbed!

Next week (unfort. I have much time for the moment due to firing this week!) I ll try getting MySQL server and cups with my Epson D120 printer running on 10.3!

bur for 11.0 prealpha:
what are main interests for a feedback to try (except killing my desktop again :lol: ):

- hardware and drivers?
- certain programs
- certain behaviour on the net?

I can try several things as long as it doesn t mean another re-install.... ;-)

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

both, DVD and HDD at neighbouring USB ports does not work, placing them at the Nokia Booklet 3G on opposite USB ports worked, strange....
but how was USB chipset done, two different ones, for the left and right side maybe??
either, one USB port is faulty/problematic, or they are different, i.e. USB2 vs. USB3
ASX

Post by ASX »

what are main interests for a feedback to try (except killing my desktop again :lol: ):
There is no fun without killing the desktop. :D :mrgreen:
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

ASX wrote:
either, one USB port is faulty/problematic, or they are different, i.e. USB2 vs. USB3
Hi mate,

well, cause the Nokia is quite old, I guess it s both USB2.0, but the first case may be the cause for the problems!
next steps will be trying to get Chromium and octoPkg installed and then "play around a bit!
so repeat offer: let me know, what to try on this testbed...
and thanks again for the explanations of "ground system" and "userland" packages and diff. between Linux & BSD, always good to get new input! :)

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

ok, hours of re-installing are obsolete again!
after rebooting is says: "/usr/local/bin/startx is marked as an executable but could not be run by operating system" :cry:
I ll try a third re-installation tomorrow and stay with that installation to play around cause this doesn t make sense if every package installation add. to the initial installation does a major reinstall of packages which kills my mate-desktop, even for trying "OctoPkg"! :cry:
when will be the next upd for 11.0-prealpha??

best Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Alright, tried my 3rd re-installation, which failed!
same configuration, so I doubt for a problematic USB....
and another error message as well in log-file: THIS time it ends with "umount /mnt" and something else and same "installation failure" box again...
I guess, the installation process as well as the packaging is a bit buggy in this prealpha-version, therefor I ll play a bit with it but will concentrate more on 10.3 for the next days!

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

Hi there,

a recent feedback from my 11.0-RC3-"front": ;)
IF using an external USB HDD (or maybe stick, which doesn t work for me at all) it should work with:

- one partition, formatted as fat32 or ext2 best in one piece
- using MBR and manual disk partitioning worked not well for me on the Nokia netbook, but MBR and "auto" created a root, a boot and a swap-partition which worked in most (!) cases of installation
- I still have big problems to install something afterwards as pkg always wants to delete, upgrade,re-install - whatsoever-huge amounts of packages which leads to a non-functional Mate-desktop!? donnow why!
- and the Wifi network manager tries to save my settings for the key etc. but I then get: "couldn t reset wlan0 module or adapter" or something like that and clicking on "ok" closes the whole application! so doin network settings on console at the mom.
is RC3 the last version or is there a newer one I could try via DVD install??

best
Achim
hank2000

Post by hank2000 »

gosh, unbelievable!!!!!!!

managed to install GhostBSD-11.0 prealpha3 on an Sandisk 16GB USB stick, hurray! :mrgreen:
and it seems, it WAS a difficult or bad working USB port, cause when I changed ports on left side of the Nokia, it suddenly worked where else came "installation failed"!
cool, now I can go on with testbed on a tiny stick instead of USB cables & disks... :)

best
Achim
ASX

Post by ASX »

and it seems, it WAS a difficult or bad working USB port,
See ? GhostBSD is a good tool to debug your hardware! :D ;)