New user with some feedback

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
swarfendor437

New user with some feedback

Post by swarfendor437 »

Well, what can I say! Less than 5 minutes to install. Minor issue - chose my language and locale at point of install and keyboard layout (en-GB). After install got notification of upgrade - did it - took about 20 minutes. After reboot, Software Station became inaccessible with 'wrong password' - what had happened is that somehow it had reverted to en-US, hence Software Station issue - added keyboard layout/locale and removed en-US one. What is baffling is that my login password had no issues, only in the desktop. I am glad no longer have any systemd present with this OS, but disappointed that Pulse Audio is still hanging around when I prefer ALSA. I can't stand Poettinger ### on my system! Can't believe how quick it was to install. Very polished. Well done GhostBSD Team. I have in the past played with PC-BSD 8.0 (now dead project) and MidnightBSD - when trying 2.1 I could not login - saying wrong password which makes me wonder if this is a BSD-Locale issue? Just also tried MidnightBSD 3.0 and could not get desktop/DE working at all. Also taken a look at Venom Linux which uses a kind of BSD methodology. Was able to install DE's but could not get a 'binding' for Desktop to run. Also tried FreeBSD but got nowhere fast. This has to be the easiest BSD OS ever! Congratulations to all the Devs who made this a polished distribution. :D
Why am I considering moving away from GNU/Linux to BSD? A recent discovery that my current OS (Devuan 3.1.1) has 'elongid' present, which is a hangover from systemd which I discovered after stumbling on this webpage:

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2023/03/02/363/
neville
Developer

Re: New user with some feedback

Post by neville »

Welcome to GhostBSD! Glad you like it. I don't know why your keyboard settings changed to US layout. That has never happened to me with GhostBSD but it does with FreeBSD. Please feel free to take a look at our telegram channel.
As far as our friend Pottering goes. I agree. I don't want his stuff on my system either but for now we have to put up with it. I hope he's enjoying himself at his current job at Microsoft.
An alternative to pulse audio is sndio in FreeBSD/GhostBSD.
ericbsd is the genius who is behind GhostBSD.
swarfendor437

Post by swarfendor437 »

Cheers neville. Yes and Microsoft also employs two ex Canonical employees who designed the DE for Windows 8.1! Thanks for the info on sndio. Will look into it. I don't use Telegram. I don't know how it fairs on security. I certainly don't use any IRC's any more! :)
swarfendor437

Post by swarfendor437 »

Just installed sndio. When I look at trying to remove pulse-audio, it wants to take the system (Desktop) with it, just as it would in GNU/Linux! Disappointing.
I may have to try and play with venom linux again. I can install but when adding a DE, can't get it to boot into DE like you can with GhostBSD! Hey ho!