[SOLVED] Why separate repos ? Why not use FeeBSD repos directly ?

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
security_lover

[SOLVED] Why separate repos ? Why not use FeeBSD repos directly ?

Post by security_lover »

@ericbsd

GhostBSD already offers many features that vanilla FreeBSD doesn't. Namely a Live mode using which users can test their hardware, a set of pre installed apps, a network manager for easy wifi connectivity, IPFW enabled by default.

So my question is why did you decide to create separate repos for GhostBSD ? While talking with you in this forum I got the idea that you are already under too much stress for maintaining GhostBSD. So if you decide to switch to vanilla FreeBSD repos don't you think your workload will get reduced ?

Again, the features that GhostBSD offers makes it an attractive choice for desktop users who are interested in using FreeBSD so I don't think GhostBSD is going to lose any userbase if it switches to FreeBSD repos.
Last edited by security_lover on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am paranoid about security !
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Why separate repos ? Why not use FeeBSD repos directly ?

Post by ericbsd »

security_lover wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:13 am So my question is why did you decide to create separate repos for GhostBSD?
Stability and quality Control FreeBSD does not verify that all packages for building GhostBSD are always available.
security_lover wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:13 am While talking with you in this forum, I got the idea that you are already under too much stress for maintaining GhostBSD. So if you decide to switch to vanilla FreeBSD repos, don't you think your workload will get reduced?
My workload will be worst because I will have to change the update manager to do some crazy stuff to update the OS, and I will not guarantee that all updates will be smooth. Also, GhostBSD has a lot of ports that I will not be able to port to the FreeBSD ports tree.

Also, last week, I added better support in GhostBSD for Broadcom, which does not come by default in FreeBSD and will never because of GPL code.

The only way to have that on FreeBSD is to recompile the kernel.

Not only that, GhostBSD will lose OS updates.

Nowadays, everything is automated with Jenkins and some Github action. So the workload of maintaining the OS and ports is just git fetch, git merge and git push. Jenkins handles the rest, even verifying that all packages are there and that GhostBSD is buildable. If there is no problem, I only have to verify the ISO boots, installs, and test the updates before sending them to users.

This is not much work, 30 to 40 minutes per major upgrades.
security_lover

Re: Why separate repos ? Why not use FeeBSD repos directly ?

Post by security_lover »

Understood. Thanks.
I am paranoid about security !