Super Duper Kudos to the GhostBSD team

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
tobias.richards@gmail.com

Super Duper Kudos to the GhostBSD team

Post by tobias.richards@gmail.com »

I bought this old iMac for $100. I knew it wouldn't run anything past El Capitan, but I wanted a cheap all-in-one computer. It didn't have to be a Mac. It just worked out that way.

GhostBSD works with just a few tweaks to get wifi working. The following OS's would not install despite multiple attempts and options: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, LUbuntu, XUbuntu, Solaris, the continuation of OpenSolaris: OpenIndiana, and CenOS.

Whatever you guys did to the installer and OS: It effing works beyond belief. After two days of trying various operating systems--and failing--GhostBSD worked without any effort other than holding down the option/alt key to boot from the USB drive. After that: Clickmonkey, # wpa_passphrase "SSID" "password" >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, and viola! A working nonMac OS is fully functional!

Fantastic.

Now only if I didn't need a Netgear wifi dongle, and could get the built-in accursed Broadcom wifi to work. Broadcom's fault.

Seriously: Whatever you are doing... keep it up! This guy who is retired from a 22 year IT career (now a hobbyist) totally appreciates whatever it is that you've done to make your OS work where your parent OS (FreeBSD) failed.

I need to know your magic!
Cloak

Re: Super Duper Kudos to the GhostBSD team

Post by Cloak »

I've noticed the same thing and wonder what was changed this latest release.
Reggieros

Re: Super Duper Kudos to the GhostBSD team

Post by Reggieros »

tobias.richards@gmail.com wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:33 pm I bought this old iMac for $100. I knew it wouldn't run anything past El Capitan, but I wanted a cheap all-in-one computer. It didn't have to be a Mac. It just worked out that way.

GhostBSD works with just a few tweaks to get wifi working. The following OS's would not install despite multiple attempts and options: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, LUbuntu, XUbuntu, Solaris, the continuation of OpenSolaris: OpenIndiana, and CenOS.

Whatever you guys did to the installer and OS: It effing works beyond belief. After two days of trying various operating systems--and failing--GhostBSD worked without any effort other than holding down the option/alt key to boot from the USB drive. After that: Clickmonkey, # wpa_passphrase "SSID" "password" >> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, and viola! A working nonMac OS is fully functional!

Fantastic.

Now only if I didn't need a Netgear wifi dongle, and could get the built-in accursed Broadcom wifi to work. Broadcom's fault.

Seriously: Whatever you are doing... keep it up! This guy who is retired from a 22 year IT career (now a hobbyist) totally appreciates whatever it is that you've done to make your OS work where your parent OS (FreeBSD) failed.

I need to know your magic!
Scored an old iMac for $100 and GhostBSD turned it into a gem! Tried multiple OS installs, but only GhostBSD worked seamlessly. The installer and OS are pure magic—effortless setup after struggling with other systems. Kudos for breathing new life into aging hardware. GhostBSD truly stands out for its reliability and user-friendly experience!Magic 8 Ball