Newest GhostBSD Release

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
Vermilion

Re: Newest GhostBSD Release

Post by Vermilion »

I don´t know if that helps, I just tried FAT32 USB drive, it is unmounted correctly. FUSE (exfat) still not.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Vermilion wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:44 pm
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm The thing is no one is filing ticket for those issue. And no one is interested to test GhostBSD quality.
The release is quite new and since that short time maybe noone has tried to unmount FUSE drives. Or it just doesnt work for me. (But why?)
I was able to reproduce with the internal disk and seems like the last update introduced conflicts with automount and gvfs. To be honest I hate gvfs. I never unoumt my internal disk.
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm I see a lot of complaining but no actions.
I am sorry for that. I am not a programmer and I am no BSD/Computer professional. I just really like GhostBSD and want to use it, I like the philosophy of it and I like FreeBSD. I try to help if I can but my knowledge is limited.
I am sorry for that. I am often frustrated because of the lack of testing of our latest build. We have builds almost weekly. I am not looking for programmers people that can test the latest build and make ticket when they find a problem that what that help me most.
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm At the end of the day GhostBSD works for me, and GhostBSD is made for me shared with the rest of the world. I do not expect it to work for everyone, but I try to make it work for other.
Yes and it is really aswsome work of this small team. But maybe I am misunderstanding the situation. I love to have Ghost as a "dayly driver", a replacement for Linux or WIndows. But it may not to be intended for that. Or not for users like me, that just want a system that "Just works". Others would say to me "then go for windows or macOS". But GHostBSD is now as easy to use as the others - except of these bugs that annoy me because I think, they can be avoided, cant they?
Bugs can be often avoided but it does not mean if I fix one it will not come back, since FreeBSD ports get changed so often and most of my problems come from people on the FreeBSD side changing what works.

I just after testing umount my internal disks with Caja it is annoying for sure.

I will hunt that problem down and find what is the problem.
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm I cannot find every problem at every major ports and system update by myself.
That´s absolutely reasonable. I am just a little sad because I was so happy with the pre Release. And I cannot spend to much time by solving problems and studying handbook to look why something is not working (that worked before).

Please dont be angry, you can be proud of your work. It may just be that it is not that what I want it to be for me.
Again testing and creating tickets on GitHub issue is the best help I can get.

Most of my frustration is mostly due to a mix of people asking for help with Github issue tickets and people reporting issues on the forums.

We track our ticket here https://github.com/orgs/ghostbsd/projects/1 but here on the forums, there is no guaranty that it will get fixed since we don't track bugs from here.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm Again testing and creating tickets on GitHub issue is the best help I can get.
Ok I will focus on doing so, I promise ;)
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:10 pm I will hunt that problem down and find what is the problem.
Thank you so much.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

OK I found 2 problems:
The first is Automount and gvfs are conflicting. When I removed the automount it solve the problem of umount problem. But you have to open caja and click on the device mount it.

The other problem is that when unmounting internal device gvfs-udisks2-volume starts and use a lot of cpu.

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
3378 ericbsd 5 103 0 42M 14M CPU6 6 15:05 101.11% gvfs-udisks2-volume

removing gvfs makes caja not much usable.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:29 pm The other problem is that when unmounting an internal device, gvfs-udisks2-volume starts and uses a lot of CPU.

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
3378 ericbsd 5 103 0 42M 14M CPU6 6 15:05 101.11% gvfs-udisks2-volume

removing gvfs makes Caja not much usable.
OK, it looks like libudisks is the problem. I was able to reproduce the problem with udisksctl.

Removing gvfs and keeping automount works a lot better, but trash and computer do not work without gvfs.

I have made a change to the gvsf ports not to compile gvfs with libudisks. Without libudisks, I lose the ability to remount an internal disk, but it does not take 100% of a thread when I unmount a disk.

I have also contacted the other Gnome FreeBSD devs to see if we can fix libudisks.

I can push my workaround with gvfs, and when we get libudisks fix I can push the fix back.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

YOu should see an update soon.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Hello. I installed and restartet the system, now he does not show any usb drive or sd card so I may have to completly mount them with terminal (I hate that). For me it is now worse than before. Please have a look again.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

AH, that is weird does automount packages installed?
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

No. he updated only gvfs and there was only that package in cache. Package automount is installed.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

No, I am asking if it installed?

By the look of it if you don't have automount something is missing. The automount packages could be missing.

Code: Select all

pkg info automount