Newest GhostBSD Release

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
Vermilion

Newest GhostBSD Release

Post by Vermilion »

Good one and get rid of that small but annoying language bug at last, now it also stays in my language after new user created.

I also like the idea of a minimal system.

Thanks @ghostbsd team for the great release and your work.
Vermilion

Re: Newest GhostBSD Release

Post by Vermilion »

Now I have sadly encountered a new annoying bug, I get permission errors when I want eject external USB Drive or SD Card. I have to go to terminal end umount it with sudo. Also the drives are not mounted automatically, as they were bevore.

The 20.11.28 just did fine, why changed?
chrisfromgreece

Post by chrisfromgreece »

This release is the best
1) It recognised my radeon pro automatically
2) It has miraculous performance on any task , launches applications faster , broadcasting/recording intensive graphics with obs-studio on 60fps 1080p is fast as ### same tasks on linux or windows is impossible.
3) Steam has very good performance !
But needs these things to work:
sudo mount -t linsysfs linsys /compat/linux/sys
sudo mount -t fdescfs null /dev/fd
export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1
or
setenv LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE 1

This is a beast of a release !
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Vermilion wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:02 pm Now I have sadly encountered a new annoying bug, I get permission errors when I want eject external USB Drive or SD Card. I have to go to terminal end umount it with sudo. Also the drives are not mounted automatically, as they were bevore.

The 20.11.28 just did fine, why changed?
I am not sure what happened I will have why caja try to eject a USB instead of unmounting it.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

There are releases of GhostBSD that are clean and fine but there are also some, that are broken and spoil my experience. Isn‘t it possible to avoid such bugs? In past I started to be hyped by Ghost and ended with being frustrated about several bugs, that came from release to release.
I love to have a solid and reliable (BSD) system but therefore the releases have to be tested thourough before releasing.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

The thing is no one is filing ticket for those issue. And no one is interested to test GhostBSD quality.

I see a lot of complaining but no actions.

What works for me might not work for others.

At the end of the day GhostBSD works for me, and GhostBSD is made for me shared with the rest of the world. I do not expect it to work for everyone, but I try to make it work for other.

It is not like it my day job. I try to keep it stable as much as I can, but it will never be enough. I cannot find every problem at every major ports and system update by myself.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Just tested the USB eject on a clean install and it is working.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Hmmm, mine is also clean install (I did completely Format and new install). Maybe it affects only the FUSE filesystems as I tried exFAT and NTFS drives only. But all was fine before.

Caja error is: umount: umount of /media/Generic-_Multi-Card_20071114173400000_s1 failed: Operation not permitted
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

gvfs seems to be the problem, might be an update on the FreeBSD ports side.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm The thing is no one is filing ticket for those issue. And no one is interested to test GhostBSD quality.
The release is quite new and since that short time maybe noone has tried to unmount FUSE drives. Or it just doesnt work for me. (But why?)
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm I see a lot of complaining but no actions.
I am sorry for that. I am not a programmer and I am no BSD/Computer professional. I just really like GhostBSD and want to use it, I like the pholosphy of it and I like FreeBSD. I try to help if I can but my knowledge is limited.
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm At the end of the day GhostBSD works for me, and GhostBSD is made for me shared with the rest of the world. I do not expect it to work for everyone, but I try to make it work for other.
Yes and it is really aswsome work of this small team. But maybe I am misunderstanding the situation. I love to have Ghost as a "dayly driver", a replacement for Linux or WIndows. But it may not to be intended for that. Or not for users like me, that just want a system that "Just works". Others would say to me "then go for windows or macOS". But GHostBSD is now as easy to use as the others - except of these bugs that annoy me because I think, they can be avoided, cant they?
ericbsd wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:28 pm I cannot find every problem at every major ports and system update by myself.
That´s absolutely reasonable. I am just a little sad because I was so happy with the pre Release. And I cannot spend to much time by solving problems and studying handbook to look why something is not working (that worked before).

Please dont be angry, you can be proud of your work. It may just be that it is not that what I want it to be for me.