Derived from, based on, FreeBSD

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
grahamperrin

Derived from, based on, FreeBSD

Post by grahamperrin »

Hi, a minor issue with the home page.

Technically, probably better to describe GhostBSD as derived from FreeBSD (as stated in the third column), not based on FreeBSD (as stated in the first column).

Loosely speaking, I do still think of GhostBSD as based on FreeBSD :-) however at/around https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/commen ... ?context=2 some distinctions are drawn.

https://ghostbsd.org/about might be a good place to make the distinctions (OpenRC etc.) if it doesn't make the page too long.

Thanks
Last edited by grahamperrin on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericbsd
Developer

Re: Derived from (not based on) FreeBSD

Post by ericbsd »

The full os is FreeBSD you base your opinion on a Reddit post. I would rather look at what the FreeBSD Foundation thinks first before Reddit https://freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd-p ... s-freebsd/.

Open Source Products from FreeBSD

FreeBSD is also the basis for a number of commercial and open-source operating systems. Some of the most widely used and publicly available systems are listed below.
  • BSD Router Project
  • Darwin
  • DragonFlyBSD
  • FreeNAS
  • GhostBSD
  • HardenedBSD
  • MidnightBSD
  • pfSense
  • OPNsense
  • XigmaNAS
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

No, that's not the basis of my opinion but you're right, the Foundation's page is also not entirely accurate.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

So in your point, Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian but not base on Debian?

if you google "base meaning", you get this:

The lowest part or edge of something, especially the part on which it rests or is supported.
A conceptual structure or entity on which something draws or depends.
A main or important element or ingredient to which other things are added.

And foundations and base are synonyms.

Since FreeBSD is the base/foundation that GhostBSD is built on top, GhostBSD is 100% compatible with FreeBSD. The init System that GhostBSD starts on does not make GhostBSD a derivated product. With one loader.conf variable, GhostBSD can boot with FreeBSD rc. GhostBSD ports tree can be built on a FreeBSD machine and be used on a FreeBSD system. The only difference in our ports tree is the support of OpenRC and OS ports for OS packages. GhostBSD is always syncing from FreeBSD ports and the latest STABLE src.

FreeBSD is the base that GhostBSD is built on top.

Reddit clam is just a bunch of opinions from people. Most likely, those people do not look at the fact that FreeBSD is the base of what GhostBSD builds on top and that GhostBSD uses FreeBSD ports, and that GhostBSD projects depend heavily on FreeBSD development.

In one sense, GhostBSD derivate from FreeBSD, but FreeBSD still the base of GhostBSD.

If no one can look at it like that is not my problem.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I changed the third column for:

GhostBSD is built on top of FreeBSD code, and its roots go back to the University of California Berkeley Unix Research. Historically it was referred to as "BSD Unix" or "Berkeley Unix." However, today it is called BSD for Berkeley Software Distribution.
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

ericbsd wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:22 pm So in your point, Ubuntu is a derivative of Debian but not base on Debian?
No, that's not my point; I'm not familiar with Ubuntu.

It might help to emphasise my own opinion, by repeating part of the opening post:
I do still think of GhostBSD as based on FreeBSD :-)
– and this opinion was formed through use of PC-BSD then TrueOS and TrueOS Desktop before switching to FreeBSD-CURRENT. Through the transition to OpenRC I realised its benefits, and so on.

I'm sorry that my suggestion of clarification was so unwelcome.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

It is not totally unwelcome, but using Reddit to make a point never passed with me.

Anyway, the about page need a big updates that is for sure there is a lot of changes that happened since the last time we touch that page.
grahamperrin

Post by grahamperrin »

:-) I have a presence at Reddit but I can not describe myself as a fan.

I was a little surprised at the splitting of hairs in some of the commentary but it was (if nothing else) a useful reminder that there's OpenRC.

The FreeBSD Foundation page is a good point of reference. Slightly outdated in e.g. its reference to FreeNAS (I'll let them know) but it's a good overview.

Thanks, and have a peaceful festive season
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Yeah FreeNAS should be replaced by TrueNAS.

Have a good a peaceful festive season yourself.