Better Every Time

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
Huck

Better Every Time

Post by Huck »

I've only been trying GhostBSD for six months or so on this HP Envy with intel and nVidia cpu/graphics.

My first try would not install; so I kept trying different disc and file type choices to no avail. I waited out updates and downloaded one from a link provided by the dev in a thread I started here; that one installed but had issues unfixable that I could not live with. That was this past October.

Now I've got the *28 version installed just a few days ago and I can see that the dev is constantly working on GhostBSD because it installed readily on the same machine that it used to fail on. Also there are improvements all around; in the menus, in configuration tweaks, etc.

Ongoing issues are (for me) not a big deal, although it will be nice to see them resolved as time goes by: media keys (top row) and brightness adjustment do not work (but the f5 key, which is just a switch for the keyboard back light on my laptop, does work. )No way to tweak the Mate menu other than the thin choices offered by right-clicking and moving or deleting choices around; I'm used to being able to change it altogether as to top level such as the spelling of "favourites," etc. Can't find a way to do that or change the icon and/or menu title (dconf editor offers that only for the full bar menu with "places,etc" on it but I use the smaller Mate menu).

Other little things here and there are off a bit, but this GhostBSD is proof that it is being improved as the weeks go by. I am very happy to see that. Watching FreeBSD's improvements is good, too, knowing that much of those tweaks land on Ghost as well.

Thank you very much for helping me get away from systemd and migrate over to BSD!

- Huck
Vermilion

Re: Better Every Time

Post by Vermilion »

GhostBSD has really improved and is now absolutly competitive with Easy-to-use Linux Distros.

Technical quality is above Linux in some points! (Video/Audio)
Huck

Post by Huck »

Vermilion wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:19 pm GhostBSD has really improved and is now absolutly competitive with Easy-to-use Linux Distros.

Technical quality is above Linux in some points! (Video/Audio)
Yes I do agree. I also think that BSD in general could move up in popularity when it's seen by more as a way to avoid systemd (at least for now) while also remaining in the open source space.

GhostBSD is gradually refining the BSD experience closer and closer to that of some of the best Linux distros. That makes it easier to migrate over to BSD. I've tried Free and Open and Dragon etc. When I landed on Ghost I had troubles as stated in my first post, but I could sense that there is something going in the right direction here.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Huck wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:35 am GhostBSD is gradually refining the BSD experience closer and closer to that of some of the best Linux distros. That makes it easier to migrate over to BSD. I've tried Free and Open and Dragon etc. When I landed on Ghost I had troubles as stated in my first post, but I could sense that there is something going in the right direction here.
I always failed to get satisfying with pure FreeBSD experience due to lack having a functional desktop. The desktop-installer scripts always failed at some point. And if manually set up a desktop... puh, many things to configure... and still did not work like GhostBSD does.

But GhostBSD helps me a lot to get a functionable desktop ready to use in only few minutes (on a fast machine). It takes longer time to have Windows 10 or macOS ready to use. Or Fedora with its large large and long taking updates. I really see no difference between Ubuntu-like distros in case of easy to use. Only thing what is missing is a graphical frontend to format drives with UFS(2) or FAT32/exFAT for beginning users but for many users (as me as well) it is no problem to take a quick command on terminal for the job. The documentation of freebsd is commendable. And I hate the linux-soup with XYZ of distributions and XY variations of something else. (Ok, this might happen to *BSD as well if it was such widespread). My personal interest for linux has gone for now.
Huck

Post by Huck »

Trying FreeBSD reminded me of the time several years ago I tried Gentoo Linux.