A few though after install.

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
nali

A few though after install.

Post by nali »

Since I've been using FreeBSD for years, I've tried GhostBSD and love it.
Discovered it on RoboNuggie YT channel.
But it seems to me a few things are broken.
Using 20.08.04, I could not install it, the partition chooser has problems. Solved with 20.08.13.

On the 2 computers I've installed it, I had problems with X.
The first one is a HP Mini 110, with a Atom video card. xorg.conf from the live iso is the same as once installed.
No X on startup. I had to remove Load "glxserver_nvidia" and change the driver from "modesetting" to "intel".

The other one is an old Phenom 3 8550. with a GTX760 and an IDE hard drive.
Same problem, no X.
The mainboard has an Ati integrated video card on 0:17:0 PCI bus. So xorg.conf used it, and tried to use amdgpu as a driver.
Funny part is this card is not supposed to exist when there's one in PCI-E.
lspci on Linux doesn't see anything in 0:17:0,
pciconf -lv finds "ahci0@pci0:0:17:0: class=0x01018f card=0x83891043 chip=0x43901002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]'
class = mass storage
subclass = ATA"

Which is clearly not a video card.
I see GhostBSD use Openrc. Maybe it's nice, but I have no idea where the configuration is. So I wanted to disable lightdm to debug, and didn't see where it's launched from. Nothing in the old reliable rc.conf.

Since I'm french, I selected french as language. On one computer, the dialog box are in french. On the other one, they are in english. At least, it's easy to solve using slim :) Not here.

The default text editor is LibreOffice.
I love LibreOffice. But I'm not sure it's a good choice to just see configuration files. Pluma would be enough as default editor.

On one computer, I had errors with pkg upgrade, the usual "size mismatch". It's been a pain to solve. pkg update -f was not enough. I don't even know how I solved this.

When in safe mode, I could not use nano, vi or edit. I think TERM was not defined. As result, I could even not quit them without reboot. I discovered this when installing mc, which was nice enough to inform me about this.

In Caja, I can't move the vertical separation between tree view and files.
On startup, I have error message "dhcpd.re0 failed to start". If I disable from rc.conf, of course I have no network acces.
ntpd also complains, not findind 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org

The vesa logo GhostBSD is nice on startup, but where can I disable it ?
I thought it was in loader.conf, but nope.

A lot of critics, but it's nice :)
Just need some improvements.
ouaille_aime_scier_

Re: A few though after install.

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

Hello Nali,

For a seasoned user of FreeBSD I am disappointed to note that you launch out on another OS the head in the handlebars without documenting you on its characteristics and its functionnalities.

Regarding the installation with 20.08.04 iso, the subject was discussed in the forum on this post https://forums.ghostbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=1729 and Eric published a corrective iso which now seems to work for installation in bios / mbr mode.

As a init system, GhostBSD uses OpenRC which comes from the Linux world and you will find the corresponding documentation there: https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/m ... r-guide.md.

For your sake of locale, you must check that it appears properly in the login.conf file.

The default text editor is defined in the configuration file of your shell (for example .cshrc with the command "setenv EDITOR nano").

For the question relating to ntpd, there is in fact a problem of synchronization with the network service (ntpd would start before the network and therefore cannot find the time server). I resolved the issue by using chrony instead of ntpd.

The loader.conf file parameters are indicated in the wiki at this place https://wiki.ghostbsd.org/index.php//bo ... oader.conf and you will have to find your happiness there to tune your machine booting.

Welcome to GhostBSD and long life on it !