Feedback on GhostBSD 20.01

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
greadey

Feedback on GhostBSD 20.01

Post by greadey »

Hi There All,
I have just installed GhostBSD 20.01 on my machine. In the past I have tried all the BSDs before I found PCBSD which was a revelation. PCBSD then moved to TrueOS, which I was happy with and then we were told that the desktop version was moving to project Trident. At that point I tried installing GhostBSD and MidnightBSD none of which worked as well out of the box as PCBSD. I then went to a vanilla Freebsd and used it as a desktop for a fairly long time. Not being a trained sys admin I ended up bricking my install and rather than go through the FreeBSD desktop route again I decided to try the latest GhostBSD - 20.01.
Wow - what a breeze. Everything went well and I was greeted with a network connected box in what seemed like no time at all. All the permissions for a desktop user seemed to have been set - I can install packages using only my own password and I can shut the machine down without sudoing to root! The major problem was my Nvidia card being driven by the nv driver ( it has never worked for me). Googling on the subject I found some very clear and succinct instructions on how to install Nvidia drivers on GhostBSD. Job done. Well done, my shiny new GhostBSD is running just as well as a vanilla FreeBSD!
Two other problems which should be mentioned are;
My swap space (ZFS pool) was only 2.5 G, I am pretty sure I asked for 8 and although I can shutdown from within Mate, it seems that if I logout of Mate I get a black screen. I have not tried to change to a console and find out what was happening - I ended up pushing the power switch - it was time for bed.
All in all, a reasonably painless install, you have won me over. Thanks to all involved in bringing GhostBSD to the masses.
greadey
Vermilion

Re: Feedback on GhostBSD 20.01

Post by Vermilion »

Hello. How long did you wait when logged off from MATE? For me it - sometimes - takes also some time (30 seconds till 1 minute?) when logging off. (I also get a black screen but after that 30 seconds I got login session.)

Another little strange behavior: When logging into my 3rd user account (the first two I created when Installing/after Install), the start of the MATE Desktop takes long time (about 1 minute) until it is ready, while the other user accounts are much faster.
greadey

Post by greadey »

I didn't wait too long - as I get older my patience with misbehaving computers gets shorter. However I shall try this evening and see if it gives me back a login screen. Not sure about the MATE behaviour you are seeing - as far as I am concerned it is still ready in a shorter time than KDE5 on my machine.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

That is a problem I think everyone has I hope to figure out what is the problem. Maybe it is related to Openrc. I would have to try vanila FreeBSD to see if it is a behaviour unic to GhostBSD or it is also on FreeBSD.
greadey

Post by greadey »

Right Peeps, just tried a logout of MATE.................... and yes the login screen does come back after a short while - my attention was diverted and when I looked back there it was :-)
dismas

Post by dismas »

Hello,
It's something I encounter since version 19.10 I think. In fact rebooting the computer is faster than switching user.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I'm still stuck in 19.10. Update Station keeps telling me there is no update for me. Idem after pkg update -f and pkg upgrade.
:arrow: Sorry for my bad English : I'm French
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

dismas wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm Hello,
It's something I encounter since version 19.10 I think. In fact rebooting the computer is faster than switching user.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that I'm still stuck in 19.10. Update Station keeps telling me there is no update for me. Idem after pkg update -f and pkg upgrade.
You are not stock on 19.10! You are already using it if you do your upgrade from the UI or the packages. Users that are using it will be at the release way before the ISO comes out.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

ISO's are built from the latest packages on the time it is released.
dismas

Post by dismas »

ericbsd wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:29 pm
dismas wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm Hello,
You are not stock on 19.10! You are already using it if you do your upgrade from the UI or the packages. Users that are using it will be at the release way before the ISO comes out.
Hello ericbsd,
Sorry, I forgot about that (I'm using GhostBSD since version 18.10 and from now I jumped to the next versions from scratch).
By the way, how to know exactly what GhostBSD version is running ? The command uname -a only shows the FreeBSD one.
Coming back to the issue, I can say that I encounter the logoff issue for months. That makes me think it occurs at least since 19.10.
:arrow: Sorry for my bad English : I'm French
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

For now, there is no way to see 20.01, the ISO version is the date(yy.mm) of the iso is release and it as nothing to do with the version of uname from the FreeBSD system. The only way you can be sure you are at the right version is 'uname -U' you should have 1201500 this. GhostBSD is now a rolling release of the latest FreeBSD STABLE version when we feel confident of stable is good we update the base.