Transition from FreeBSD to TrueOS, why should I use GhostBSD?

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
tuaris

Transition from FreeBSD to TrueOS, why should I use GhostBSD?

Post by tuaris »

This isn't an directed towards TrueOS itself (I haven't used it enough to be able to have any opinion it) or negative criticism towards the decision to switch from FreeBSD as a base. More so it's some thoughts and observations.

I'm happy to see that the overall look and feel of GhostBSD remains unchanged on the surface. Besides the bootup process, you really wouldn't be able to notice that the base OS has changed. It certainly continues to be GhostBSD as far as I say. That's good. I'm a long time FreeBSD user, admin, developer (for both server and desktop). GhostBSD had something unique that attracted me to it, the fact that I could have an out of the box FreeBSD as my desktop instead of having to use something like Fedora or Ubuntu. Having a local environment that responds identically to the server's I administer was a huge plus. Enough that I was okay working around it's quirks, and the limitations that usually come with using FreeBSD on the desktop (ie. lack of some software that would otherwise be available on Windows, MacOS, and Linux).

The new GhostBSD is nice, works great, and is something I'm comfortable to continue using as a desktop. Now I ask myself... why should I use GhostBSD? What reason do I have for staying on TrueOS vs moving to Fedora? In the end both options leave me with the same result: A great desktop, but not a FreeBSD desktop.

That said, I'm most likely going to upgrade my primary work machine from 11.2 to 18.10, but I expect now I'll have to spin up a separate VM in order to get a FreeBSD environment for my day to day console based tasks.