GhostBSD 24.01.1

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
Fastcorners

GhostBSD 24.01.1

Post by Fastcorners »

Hi everyone. I have GhostBSD 24.01.1 installed on a Dell E5430 laptop. It previously had Windows 10 using a SSD. Couldn't get Ghost to work on the SSD so I used a Samsung 320G drive. I am amazed at how well this thing runs. It fires up faster, runs quicker and shuts down faster using the Samsung drive than Windows did with an SSD! So much for the "FreeBSD is slow" jazz. This laptop has 8G ram with an Intel 7260 wireless card - replacing the Dell branded wifi card. Earlier versions of GhostBSD were good. This version is awesome.

Good Job!
neville
Developer

Re: GhostBSD 24.01.1

Post by neville »

Hi, Welcome to GhostBSD! Thanks for the post. I'm glad GhostBSD is running well for you.
I don't understand why GhostBSD didn't work on your SSD. I have GhostBSD running perfectly on 2 laptops, one with an M2 ssd and a sata connection SSD.
Perhaps there are some things in the BIOS you need to change. Like tuning off secure boot or disabling something else.
Can you describe exactly what went wrong when you tried to boot on the original SSD when you get a spare moment?
You can post here or on the GhostBSD Telegram channel.
Please ask questions and enjoy GhostBSD.
wb7odyfred

Re: GhostBSD 24.01.1

Post by wb7odyfred »

on ghostbsd terminal run these commands to get some information data points
camcontrol devlist
geom disk list
gpart status
gpart show -lp
dmesg | tail 20

Glad you are here enjoying afine operating system, Ghostbsd.
I am curious to learn your journey to find , test, and use GhostBSD. Why this , when 100's of options exist over at https://distrowatch.com. Why select GhostBSD? Why not FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Nomadbsd.org, MidnightBSD ?
What is your use case and workflow for GhostBSD? Enjoy the ride using GhostBSD!