GhostBSD is convenient

Share your ideas, questions or suggestions with us here.
LibreQuest

GhostBSD is convenient

Post by LibreQuest »

Hello my name is Matt and I am using GhostBSD on two systems. I moved from Linux based systems to FreeBSD not too long ago. I had originally installed GhostBSD while testing wifi dongles and noticed how convenient it was.

I really like the Network Manager application, which has also been added to FreeBSD ports. And I find the quick automatic hardware detection and setup to be very nice as well.

The efi boot loader is rather curious to me. I installed FreeBSD on an HP Chromebook a few days ago and thought I should give GhostBSD a try as well. For some reason the system was unable to find the efi boot loader on GhostBSD.

Overall I have found that GhostBSD is a convenient way to have a system up and running if you don't want to configure anything yourself.

I have only had one issue, with the latest ISO and updates on one system. It results in an unusable X session. I have posted about this issue in the General Support area of this forum.

Excellent work GhostBSD developers. Your operating system is very convenient and easy to use. I would recommend this system to friends who want to use a BSD based operating system.
neville
Developer

Re: GhostBSD is convenient

Post by neville »

Welcome to GhostBSD! Thanks for the feedback.
One question. You had a problem after updating. Did you update using update station or did you do it by command line?
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

neville wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:20 am Welcome to GhostBSD! Thanks for the feedback.
One question. You had a problem after updating. Did you update using update station or did you do it by command line?
Initially I used the command line. I then read over the wiki and realized I had not updated properly. I then reinstalled the system and used Update Station. This also resulted in X failing to start. So I then installed Lynx text browser and downloaded the latest memstick image. I wrote this to a flash drive (dd if=latest.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1M) and ran the live ram disk image. The latest was unable to start X as well. So I was able to determine that the latest update breaks X on my machine by trying different methods to update and to test the latest available image. I've not done any more update testing on that system yet. But I will when new updates are available. Until then it's using xf86-video-intel which has very poor GPU performance. But it is better than no X.
wb7odyfred

Post by wb7odyfred »

LibreQuest, So can you run

Code: Select all

hw-probe -all -upload
on this system. Does it use Optimus graphics combination of Intel and Nvidia graphics chips. https://bsd-hardware.info

Can you share details of your broken hardware?

Would it be possible to consider updating the official GhostBSD ISO to use FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE by default, since it is now used by GhostBSD?

https://ghostbsd.org/download GhostBSD_05-18-2023.ISO now is FreeBSD 13.2-STABLE "Latest Build" GhostBSD-23.05.18.iso http://download.us.ghostbsd.org/release ... .05.18.iso

Use GhostBSD Application Update-Station to rolling release update to the latest version.
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

No, the system is a Celeron based Intel graphics chip from 2015. I will absolutely update to 13.2 Stable. I had no idea that was available. I will post some system specs later tonight. I'll just edit this post with the hw info. Is there a reason GhostBSD isn't using the Release version of FreeBSD?
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am glad you like it and hope your upgrade will go well.
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

Alright, here are the hardware specs.

https://bsd-hardware.info/?probe=44d30cfcf6

I just made a new post rather than editing.

I'm going to re-install after downloading the iso you posted.
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

No, X still fails on that latest 13.2 Stable ISO. It had an "IN" error. I was going to try and get the log to post but I wasn't able to get connected to the internet to ssh over. I'm not where I have a LAN available. I'm WiFi at the moment and I couldn't remember the wpa_supplicant format to add the network.
LibreQuest

Post by LibreQuest »

I just installed FreeBSD 13.2 release. But it has a mouse freeze issue. The mouse will freeze for a few seconds, touchpad to be exact. It's all good. I'm still running GhostBSD on my other HP ProBook without issue. And it's my main machine at the moment.