My Post-installation Configuration

Add your Tips and tricks to configure and tweak your GhostBSD System here.
macondo

My Post-installation Configuration

Post by macondo »

I am a minimalist, eye-candy means nothing to me, speed is where is at, IMHO.

I own an old 'coffee pot' with a Celeron and 4 gigs of ram that I added after getting my box.

This is a very SUBJECTIVE matter, take it with "grain of salt".

After the installation, and playing around with XFCE, I update/upgrade, I installed my favorite apps: qterminal, xfe, mirage, scrot, unclutter,numlockx, gpm, icewm, menumaker, jwm, gmrun.

I like my apps maximized, launched with keybindings, I am an old man, and refuse to point and click and waste time with such nonsense.

I configure sudo with visudo or with my favorite editor ee, by editing /usr/local/etc/sudoers and uncomenting the wheel line no passwd.

Code: Select all

## Same thing without a password
 %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
gbsd makes you a member of the groups wheel and operator by default.

So, I don't have to write my password.

Next, I edit as ROOT, my .xinitrc so I can launch IceWM or JWM and leave it looking like this:

# ee /home/username/.xinitrc
Delete the line: exec $1

And leave it looking like this:

#!/bin/sh

setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout es, ISO-8859-15-acc
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
xsetroot -solid black
unclutter -idle 2 &
numlockx &

exec icewm
This will make my spanish keyboard active, I can logout with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, my background black, my cursor pointer will disappear in 2 seconds (it will reappear when the mouse is moved, great for watching movies/videos or reading) and lastly, activate numlock as you enter the X system.

Then I shorten the time for the automatic boot, down to 4 seconds instead of 10, by editing the file as ROOT, /boot/defaults/loader.conf, uncomenting this line, putting the amount of seconds you want, and leaving it like this:

autoboot_delay="4"
Then I configure the firewall, following the instructions from https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/61659/
As ROOT, I paste this in /etc/pf.conf .

block in all
pass out all keep state
Then add this to your /etc/rc.conf as ROOT

pf_enable="YES"
pf_rules="/etc/pf.conf"
pf_flags=""
pflog_enable="YES"
pflog_logfile="/var/log/pflog"
pflog_flags=""
Reboot (# shutdown -r now)

When I come back, I check it with http://www.grc.com and got this:

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

Note: to use grc.com, click on ShieldsUp > ShieldsUp again (under Hot Spots) > Proceed > All Service Ports > Wait till it checks the ports, if they are all neon-green, you are fine, Stealth (invisible)

Then I configure IceWM and Bob's your uncle!

Hope this helps somebody. Happy trails...
Last edited by macondo on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Desktop Celeron with 4 gigs RAM - icewm/jwm/ratpoison - FreeBSD 11.1/GhostBSD 11.1
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
Jes

Re: My Post-installation Configuration

Post by Jes »

Maybe It could be useful a section dedicated to share our pf.conf (explaining it).
macondo

Post by macondo »

Maybe It could be useful a section dedicated to share our pf.conf (explaining it).
Vale!
I agree with you. Unfortunately, I am a newbie, and so far I am happy with just something that works (according to grc.com)
My answer every time I screw up, is to reinstall gbsd, what can I tell you, pal?
Desktop Celeron with 4 gigs RAM - icewm/jwm/ratpoison - FreeBSD 11.1/GhostBSD 11.1
macondo

Post by macondo »

I neglected to explain how I got rid of XFCE4:

$ sudo pkg delete xfconf xfce4-utils xfwm4 xfce4-session xfdesktop4 exo-utils xfce4-panel xfce4-terminal  thunar
$ sudo pkg autoremove
Yeah, I know... I'm an ungrateful punk, after all that work the devs did, tsk, tsk, tsk...but I need my beloved keybindings :twisted:
ASX

Post by ASX »

:D
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Cool guide!

But if you look in "Settings" and then keyboard in xfce and then go to "application shortcuts" you can keybind just about anything you want. :D
macondo

Post by macondo »

Thanks, Neville, but still is the fact that it uses ~90 MB RAM, while my wm uses about 3, is a matter of getting used to it. ;) Besides, I am too old to learn new tricks.
NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Maybe I'll try IceWM some day! :)
macondo

Post by macondo »

NevilleGoddard
Developer

Post by NevilleGoddard »

Looks great. :P

Bella macchina!