No sound in Chromium after upgrade to Chromium 94

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
bdk0012

No sound in Chromium after upgrade to Chromium 94

Post by bdk0012 »

Last night I used the Update Station to update my GhostBSD install to the latest. As part of the update, it updated Chromium from version 92 to 94, which seems to have broken sound. Everything just plays back as silence. Firefox plays audio fine. I tried removing and reinstalling the Chromium package with pkg with the same result.

I then removed the chromium package and re-installed chromium-92.0.4515.159_2.pkg from /var/cache/pkg, and sound works in Chromium again.

Any advice on troubleshooting? Is this problem specific to my system, or is this a bug that I should report on github, and if so what information would be useful to collect?

Thanks
ericbsd
Developer

Re: No sound in Chromium after upgrade to Chromium 94

Post by ericbsd »

I have sound with Chromium. Are You running the official version or the community version?
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

I'm running the version from 'pkg install chromium', so I assume that's community.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I am referring to GhostBSD, XFCE, or MATE?
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

Oh, Sorry, I misunderstood! I'm running GhostBSD Community-- I installed the images with Xfce.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

OK, that explained it now. XFCE version maintainer did not add PulseAudio compatibility to it. I compiled Chromium run with pulse audio to have it work properly with MATE.

What you can do to solve that is to install xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin and xfce4-volumed-pulse.
bdk0012

Post by bdk0012 »

Thank you! Installing those packages made Chromium see more than just the 'Default' audio device, and now I can play back audio. I'm still experiencing microphone issues in Chromium where the Mic works for a few seconds on a page and then cuts out that wasn't happening before the upgrade, but audio as a whole is working now. I'll do some more testing with the Mic and see if I can figure out whats going on.

Thanks for your help.