How to update correctly?

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
Vermilion

How to update correctly?

Post by Vermilion »

Hello,

I installed GhostBSD on old Laptop.

Now first what I want to do is an update/upgrade of the system. But software-station finds 0 packages and update-station tells me, system is up to date.
So I did a "pkg update" in terminal and ignored the mismatch OS-Version. After this, the repo list was updated and updates are avaiable through update-station as well as software-station shows me the packages list.

My question now: Is that the wanted or correct/clean way to do this? Because I have read somewhere here in forum that I should ONLY use software-station and update-station!

Best Regards Verm
ericbsd
Developer

Re: How to update correctly?

Post by ericbsd »

To install software, you can use pkg or software-station, but to upgrade, I prefer that people use Update Station since it is applying the updates properly.

The thing with a mismatched OS version is that you can end up with a broken system, when the pkg upgrade is used without -f.

The -f flag need to be used with the mismatched OS version to force all package to upgrade even if there is not a new version of the package to make sure all the package are built for the same os version.
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Ok thanks. I did „pkg update“ answered the question with „y“ and then at the end closed terminal. I did follow with first update-station and after job was done, installed software via software-station.

Is ist possible in future to make update- and software-Station use of „pkg-update“ every time ist is used, as it may help avoid confusing for beginners and need for Terminal.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Newer Software-Station does, and when I have time, I will add that to Update Station also.