Display

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
mechanic

Display

Post by mechanic »

New idea for the lockdown: try GhostBSD again, see if it's any better. Looks nice, but the guest additions don't seem to work well (compared to FreeBSD). After some research I have the vboxguest module loading on bootup BUT the usual functions don't seem to be there. Firstly I would like a decent choice of display resolutions, instead, I have three options the best of which is 1024x768.

Any thoughts on how to get this working properly?
mechanic

Re: Display

Post by mechanic »

This resolution issue seems simply down to settings for the VirtualBox machine; bumping video memory up to 128MB and the Graphic Controller to VboxVGA got the available resolution choice up to much higher and useful values. I don't know where these VB defaults for the machine come from but they are not so useful.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

I do not think that the default setting for FreeBSD is the best for desktop use.

I will look at adding back xrandr and virtual additions look like removing them did more problems than anything else.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:42 am This resolution issue seems simply down to settings for the VirtualBox machine; bumping video memory up to 128MB and the Graphic Controller to VboxVGA got the available resolution choice up to much higher and useful values. I don't know where these VB defaults for the machine come from but they are not so useful.
When I select anything other than the default Graphics Controller (VMSVGA) I get an error at the bottom of the Settings dialog:
Invalid settings detected.
And yet, by selecting VBoxSVGA I still get a broader range of resolutions and—even better—they work.
However, the new resolution setting (1400x1050) doesn't survive a reboot.
I tried issuing this command from the host machine's DOS prompt:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "GhostBSD" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint"
Then I opened the guest, set the new resolution, then shutdown. (This procedure I got from this post.)
But, the file gets rewritten to the default 800x600 each time the guest starts up.
I tried this with both VBoxVGA and VBoxSVGA. Same results.
Any suggestions?
grahamperrin

Additional information required

Post by grahamperrin »

Are you booting the guest live from the ISO? Or booting an installation of GhostBSD?

What operating system is the host?

If the host is FreeBSD: which version of VirtualBox?
grahamperrin

VMSVGA versus VirtualBox guest additions

Post by grahamperrin »

mushroom wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 am … anything other than the default Graphics Controller (VMSVGA) I get an error at the bottom of the Settings dialog: …
If emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is installed:
  1. ignore the yellow alert in settings
  2. do not enable 3D acceleration.
Please see https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... =254266#c7
mushroom

Re: Additional information required

Post by mushroom »

grahamperrin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:29 am Are you booting the guest live from the ISO? Or booting an installation of GhostBSD?
This is an installation of GhostBSD within a VirtualBox environment.
grahamperrin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:29 am What operating system is the host?
Windows 10
grahamperrin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:29 am If the host is FreeBSD: which version of VirtualBox?
I'll answer anyway, even though it's Windows: 6.1.22r144080 (Qt5.6.2)
mushroom

Re: VMSVGA versus VirtualBox guest additions

Post by mushroom »

grahamperrin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:49 pm
mushroom wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:14 am … anything other than the default Graphics Controller (VMSVGA) I get an error at the bottom of the Settings dialog: …
If emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions is installed:
  1. ignore the yellow alert in settings
  2. do not enable 3D acceleration.
Please see https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... =254266#c7
At present, 3D acceleration is turned off and I'm not seeing any alerts. I'm also still not getting the higher resolution.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

To those who responded:
I apologize for taking so long to get back here. This pandemic is kicking my ###, but that's really no excuse, I suppose.
I'm actually thinking of taking a different tack on this whole thing, but I'll start a new thread to talk about it.