GhostBSD 3.5... which binary package manager is "official"?

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
The Linux Kitten

GhostBSD 3.5... which binary package manager is "official"?

Post by The Linux Kitten »

Hello,

I'm new GhostBSD/FreeBSD user. I'm testing it in a virtual machine, so i'm interested in binary package management.

Executing bxpkg and trying to update instructs me to use it with --repo-site option:
Your system 9.1-RELEASE-p4 is unknown! Try updating bxpkg or supply repository URL with a --repo-site option

Reading the forum
http://www.ghostbsd.org/newsletter/ghos ... -available
viewtopic.php?t=12&p=43
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9
This posts said that 3.0 may be broken using bxpkg with this option

I've executed 'pkg_add -r vim', without any environment modification, and installs it. But, I'm not sure if it is correct. I'm not sure how to update the system.
About bxPKG, if --repo-site option is not secure, how to use/configure bxpkg to manage/update packages?

Is 'Ports' then "only an secure" way of install and manage software in GhostBSD 3.5? If it's right, then the FAQ and User Handbook gives confusing instructions. New users will read the FAQ and the Handbook to install it, not the newsletters up to version 3.0.

Edit: Running the command 'pkg' instructs me to install it and run pkg2ng.
reading http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... intro.html it says that pkg is the new binary package manager with the new database format.
Then, as new GhostBSD user, I'm not sure what to do. GhostBSD Handbook only mentions 'pkg_add' and 'Ports' for installing new software, and seems than pkg_add is not compatible with new pkg. Is secure follow FreeBSD Handbook, or it may broke GhostBSD 3.5 installed system?

Thanks, again.
adripillo12

Re: GhostBSD 3.5... which binary package manager is "officia

Post by adripillo12 »

The Linux Kitten wrote:Hello,

I'm new GhostBSD/FreeBSD user. I'm testing it in a virtual machine, so i'm interested in binary package management.

Executing bxpkg and trying to update instructs me to use it with --repo-site option:
Your system 9.1-RELEASE-p4 is unknown! Try updating bxpkg or supply repository URL with a --repo-site option

Reading the forum
http://www.ghostbsd.org/newsletter/ghos ... -available
viewtopic.php?t=12&p=43
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=9
This posts said that 3.0 may be broken using bxpkg with this option

I've executed 'pkg_add -r vim', without any environment modification, and installs it. But, I'm not sure if it is correct. I'm not sure how to update the system.
About bxPKG, if --repo-site option is not secure, how to use/configure bxpkg to manage/update packages?

Is 'Ports' then "only an secure" way of install and manage software in GhostBSD 3.5? If it's right, then the FAQ and User Handbook gives confusing instructions. New users will read the FAQ and the Handbook to install it, not the newsletters up to version 3.0.

Edit: Running the command 'pkg' instructs me to install it and run pkg2ng.
reading http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... intro.html it says that pkg is the new binary package manager with the new database format.
Then, as new GhostBSD user, I'm not sure what to do. GhostBSD Handbook only mentions 'pkg_add' and 'Ports' for installing new software, and seems than pkg_add is not compatible with new pkg. Is secure follow FreeBSD Handbook, or it may broke GhostBSD 3.5 installed system?

Thanks, again.

It has some problems to be installed on a Virtual Machine. I think that eric was working on that for the new version.
The Linux Kitten

adripillo12 wrote:
The Linux Kitten wrote:Hello,

Thanks, again.

It has some problems to be installed on a Virtual Machine. I think that eric was working on that for the new version.
Hello adripillo12,

Well, I've installed the OS in the VM without any problem. My doubt is if 'pkg_add -r <package>' is the "official" and easy way of installing new packages in GhostBSD.

At the moment I'm testing FreeBSD, PC-BSD and OpenBSD (my favourite). I'll wait until GhostBSD uses the 10.0 release of FreeBSD packages (for the new toolchain changes: the use of clang instead of gcc, and pkgng).

Thanks... and sorry for the delay.
ericbsd
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

GhostBSD 4.0 will come without bxpkg and with pkgng instead of pkg_add.
The Linux Kitten

ericbsd wrote:GhostBSD 4.0 will come without bxpkg and with pkgng instead of pkg_add.
I'll test GhostBSD 4.0-ALPHA1 with the mate desktop.

Thanks.