Updating Firefox caused total destruction of many things

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
dhenzler

Updating Firefox caused total destruction of many things

Post by dhenzler »

I recently installed a copy of Linux Mint 19. As an experiment to see just how much faster it was I installed VirtualBox. I successfully installed Windows 7 and thought it would be nice to have a BSD flavor available for eval and testing. I did more or less successfully use GhostBSD earlier this year to evaluate ZFS for use on Nextcloud as compared to BTRFS on Linux Mint 18.

However during the final phases of my eval I was notified by Firefox that the version I was using was terribly out of date. So using the system's own provided software install tool, I selected Firefox for a new install. It destroyed Firefox, and removed the software install tool (looks like a ghost from PacMan) rendering the system pretty badly destroyed. The server parts were still operational, but I never got it all back to where it was.

The fresh installation on Virtualbox went well however the same notification came up about Firefox, and I fell for it again with the same result. Instead of ONE program being updated... half an hour later, and hundreds of changes to system files, perhaps thousands... the system was left in the same crippled state.

I am NOT impressed, nor would I try this again... Someone needs to fix this as I'm sure your user base has experienced this as well.

Not Ready for PrimeTime... was my first review at the onset of my testing... and now I feel like that was a most accurate appraisal.

Want reliability... get Linux Mint 17 or better