Installation of VLC (VideoLAN) kills Gnome MPlayer & more

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
dhenzler

Installation of VLC (VideoLAN) kills Gnome MPlayer & more

Post by dhenzler »

Been experimenting with FreeBSD and GhostBSD and have noticed that installing VLC kills Gnome MPlayer. I used to be able to view mkv or mp4 and other video files on a network computer with MPlayer... picture was limited to pixels on original. VLC alows full screen play on any video. So loaded it. Refused to play video via smb. Then MPlayer is dead as well.

HELP !
Hecktor

Re: Installation of VLC (VideoLAN) kills Gnome MPlayer & mor

Post by Hecktor »

Not sure if this helps. This distro has links to TrueOS and on TrueOS they were saying there are two version of vlc. The normal vlc version doesn't work well, but the vlc-qt version works better.

For me on FreeBSD 11 vlc and smplayer work with no issues on youtube videos. Full screen on both.
dhenzler

Post by dhenzler »

Screenshot at 2018-02-14 14-45-23.png
That's not the issue... read more carefully....

VLC works fine, but does not read files through samba as it does on other Operating systems. This indicates a problem with Freebsd & GhostBSD.

As well Mplayer originally plays files that are coming to me through samba link. Once VLC is loaded MPlayer or Gnome-MPlayer fail to operate AT ALL

I keep videos on a computer which is available using samba and this works flawlessly on Windows 7, Linux Mint, and using MPlayer on GhostBSD & FreeBSD, but once VLC is loaded... it kills it
Hecktor

Post by Hecktor »

I did read carefully, you apparently did not.

For me I have VLC and MPlayer both installed and fully functional which apparently you do not. I am unable to test samba, but at least my VLC install doesn't kill mplayer.

You can investigate the vlc-qt4 thing if you like. However, if your goal is VLC over samba and it doesn't work on FreeBSD it is probably better to ask for help on the FreeBSD forums. If it doesn't work on FreeBSD it is highly unlikely it will be working on GhostBSD. As for VLC breaking mplayer, that looks like more of a GhostBSD issue as it doesn't exist on FreeBSD.

Don't expect people to duplicate your setup and then attack them when they don't, telling them to read more carefully. My first statement was that what I said may or not be helpful to you. And I was clear as to what was functioning for me under what circumstances.