installation from ports is unable to determine OS version

Everything related to Installing and maintaining software.
ouaille_aime_scier_

installation from ports is unable to determine OS version

Post by ouaille_aime_scier_ »

Hello guys,

I tried to install a package from port sources, but the compilation fails about this message : make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1160: Unable to determine OS version. Either define OSVERSION, install /usr/include/sys/param.h or define SRC_BASE.

I found in FreeBSD documentation that I can manually setenv OS version before compiling but I ignore wich value to define (12.x-RELEASE or -STABLE) ?
ericbsd
Developer

Re: installation from ports is unable to determine OS version

Post by ericbsd »

I would not recommend you to use ports unless you know what you do. To use ports you will need to install src and os-userland-devtools packages, also make sure to use https://github.com/ghostbsd/ghostbsd-ports.
ouaille_aime_scier_

Thanks ericbsd I will try it.
ouaille_aime_scier_

It works fine, I just need to install os-generic-userland-devtools :-) I wanted compiling exfat-utils to mount FAT32 usb key but I saw an other post here on the subject.
i18nde

Post by i18nde »

I had the same problem trying to install exfat. I need this to see the right names at mit US stick. I'm German, so we have a lot äöü and ß. SO, do i understand your post right:
You solved your problem by installing exfat-utils? Only after installing install os-generic-userland-devtools, of course.
Or do I need fusefs-exfat, what is available too.

Thanks for an answer, would help me a lot ... ;)
Strawberry fields forever ...
gom

Post by gom »

ericbsd wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:26 am I would not recommend you to use ports unless you know what you do. To use ports you will need to install src and os-userland-devtools packages, also make sure to use https://github.com/ghostbsd/ghostbsd-ports.
Hi Eric,
This is either a n00bish question or a great idea, you decide, but is there a way to drag and drop a tarball of source code I just downloaded into the Software Station, and have it compile and install it for me?

Or is there something that already interfaces with github which would let me browse their software library, or pop in a URL to them and have it install itself?

I'm not saying to forego checking for compatibility to GhostBSD. It shouldn't let you install incompatible code, at least not without a warning and a double verification.

Anyways, great work. This is fantastic. Thanks for making this.

GOM
marksm

Post by marksm »

ouaille_aime_scier_ wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:19 pm It works fine, I just need to install os-generic-userland-devtools :-) I wanted compiling exfat-utils to mount FAT32 usb key but I saw an other post here on the subject.
Hi,

Glad that it worked for you, I am facing the same issue and being new to FreeBSD , it would be great if you can share the commands you used to make this work.

Many thanks.