Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Help with issues concerning notebooks, laptops and netbooks.
Kernelpanic
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by Kernelpanic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi to all!
I had a problem during the boot of GhostBSD 10.3
These are my pc's specs:

Code: Select all

CPU 2.4-GHz Intel Core i7-3630QM 
Hard disk 1Tb
RAM 8GB
Hard Drive Size 1TB + 32GB SSD 
Hard Drive Speed 5,400rpm 
Hard Drive Type SATA Hard Drive + mSATA SSD 
Display Size 17.3 Native Resolution 1920x1080 
Optical Drive DVD /-RW Optical Drive Speed 8X 
Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 650M Video Memory 2GB 
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/g/n Wi-Fi Model Intel Centrino Advanced-N 2230 Bluetooth
 Bluetooth 4.0 Mobile Broadband Touchpad 
Size 3.9 x 2.25 inches 
Ports (excluding USB) 
Kensington Lock Ports (excluding USB)
 Headphone Ports (excluding USB)
HDMI Ports (excluding USB) 
Ethernet Ports (excluding USB) 
VGA Ports (excluding USB) 
USB 3.0 Ports (excluding USB) 
Microphone USB Ports 4 Card Slots 8-1 card reader 
And these are the errors screens:
This is first problem during boot
Image
This is after typing "exit"
Image
This is after login as root and typing "startx"
Image
And last but not least
At the end of "starx"
Image
Any suggestion? Thanks to anyone who wants to help me...
Cheers
Ps. Sorry for my bad english ;)

ASX
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by ASX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:21 pm

hi, and welcome.

for some reason I can't see your pictures in your post, but I was able to see them by pasting the URLs in my browser.
The first picture report an error: usb_alloc_device: set address 4 failed, (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, ignored), and another error subsequently.

http://i65.tinypic.com/qybuc2.jpg

You don't say if you are bootng from USB, but I think it is the case, please confirm.

This error, is most likely due to to some timing issue with your USB hw, it should be possible to cure this, but right now I don't remember the exact setting to apply, will look about that sometime later.

After you type exit, the boot resume, and you have a second issue, most likely related to your graphics adapter.
Can you please tell us what is it ? Intel ? nvidia ?

ASX
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by ASX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 650M Video Memory 2GB
missed it :D

You need to disable in BIOS the nvidia adapter, dual cards aren't supported.

Kernelpanic
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by Kernelpanic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:38 am

Wow thanks for your quick reply.
These are my bios screens:
Image
Image
Where can i disable the nvidia card?i can't find it :(
I really want to install Ghostbsd in my pc
Ah I forgot, greetings from italy ;)
Thanks for your help.

ASX
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by ASX » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:39 am

Kernelpanic wrote:Where can i disable the nvidia card?i can't find it :(
may be it is not possible at all, some notebook/bios/uefi can be configured, some not.
I really want to install Ghostbsd in my pc
A fast scan on freebsd forum is not very promising, the only thread I have found: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/40187
The last post link an xorg.conf file, but it is also outdated.

It seems it can work by using a specific xorg.conf file (these days X usually just autodetect te configuration), but you will need to revise the linked xorg.conf.

Anyway, it seems you are new to GhostBSD/FreeBSD, therefore I would suggest to install Linux and run GhostBSD in VirtualBox, that's a start.
Ah I forgot, greetings from italy ;)
Thanks for your help.
Wow, double welcome! :)

Kernelpanic
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by Kernelpanic » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:53 am

ASX wrote:
Kernelpanic wrote:Where can i disable the nvidia card?i can't find it :(
may be it is not possible at all, some notebook/bios/uefi can be configured, some not.
I really want to install Ghostbsd in my pc
A fast scan on freebsd forum is not very promising, the only thread I have found: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/40187
The last post link an xorg.conf file, but it is also outdated.

It seems it can work by using a specific xorg.conf file (these days X usually just autodetect te configuration), but you will need to revise the linked xorg.conf.

Anyway, it seems you are new to GhostBSD/FreeBSD, therefore I would suggest to install Linux and run GhostBSD in VirtualBox, that's a start.
Ah I forgot, greetings from italy ;)
Thanks for your help.
Wow, double welcome! :)
This is make me very sad
I have installed Gnu/linux with GhostBSD in Virtualbox,and this is why i want GhostBSD as my own OS.
GhostBSD is stable and solid like a rock and have a very beautiful appearance

kraileth
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by kraileth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Kernelpanic,

you could get an image of TrueOS and see if it manages to boot a live system. TrueOS is based on FreeBSD-CURRENT. If it will boot up that means the development version of FreeBSD already support your hardware. In that case GhostBSD will catch up at some point in time. If even TrueOS will not work... Well, then probably not enough FreeBSD developers use Dell Inspiron laptops... But then you at least know that there's not too much hope in the foreseeable future.

Kernelpanic
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by Kernelpanic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:50 pm

kraileth wrote:Hi Kernelpanic,

you could get an image of TrueOS and see if it manages to boot a live system. TrueOS is based on FreeBSD-CURRENT. If it will boot up that means the development version of FreeBSD already support your hardware. In that case GhostBSD will catch up at some point in time. If even TrueOS will not work... Well, then probably not enough FreeBSD developers use Dell Inspiron laptops... But then you at least know that there's not too much hope in the foreseeable future.
Hi kraileth,
For sure, I will download it (this or tomorrow evening,depend of my bad internet connection)and I will try it.
Stay in contact for result ;)
Cheers

NevilleGoddard
Developer
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:30 pm
Location: Japan
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by NevilleGoddard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 am

Instead of "startx" what happens when you try "exec startxfce4"?

Kernelpanic
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 7720 se

Post by Kernelpanic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:29 pm

NevilleGoddard wrote:Instead of "startx" what happens when you try "exec startxfce4"?
I tried exec startxfce4 but the result is the same of startx :(
Now i will try with TrueOS
Cross Fingers
Cheers

Post Reply