Lenovo ThinkPad Z61p

Help with issues concerning notebooks, laptops and netbooks.
opeth

Lenovo ThinkPad Z61p

Post by opeth »

How to install GhostBSD 4.0 on IBM Thinkpad Z61p ?
no Desktop on dvd boot
Last edited by opeth on Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
opeth

Lenovo Think Pad Z61p

Post by opeth »

when i boot from Ghost BSD DVD then coms no desktop what can i do ?
descasa

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Z61p

Post by descasa »

Same thing on my ThinkPad X1 Tablet. My graphics card according to Windows Device Manager is Intel HD Graphics 515, although I'm not sure that that's the problem. Checked /var/log for the X log, don't remember now if X recognized and loaded the drivers for the card. It did say something about Screen0 being absent, which I find strange since I didn't have that problem with the previous versions of Ghost.

If I'm not mistaken the graphics card on your TP is the FireGL 5200.

I'll investigate a bit further and post here when I do manage to get X running, might even re-download the image. I've already tried writing the image I have a second time.

In case you're wondering how to view the log file, use ghostbsd as login, blank password. Then type in, without terminating with the Enter key yet,

less /var/log/X

and hit the [Tab] key immediately after the X (no space bar! -- apologies if you already know this, can't assume other users' levels of proficiency with the shell). I suspect you'll find something similar to the error on my TP regarding Screen0
Technologist. Writer and Editor. Shakespearean actor
Google Plus: http://google.com/+DanielEscasa
Twitter: @silverlokk

If we choose being kind over being right, we will be right every time.
ronaldlee

Re: Lenovo Think Pad Z61p

Post by ronaldlee »

opeth wrote:when i boot from Ghost BSD DVD then coms no desktop what can i do ?
have you checked your vga driver?
sebastian

Post by sebastian »

The same thing also happened to me on my ThinkPad tablet
Developer

Post by ericbsd »

Those devices are probably better supported by TrueOS, and TrueOS Just did release 17.12 stable https://www.trueos.org/blog/trueos-17-12-release/. I know that will sound weird to recommend TrueOS since I am the guy behind GhostBSD, but next release of GhostBSD will be done under TrueOS Core and all the GhostBSD configuration ports are in TrueOS repository. So anyone can install everything from GhostBSD under TrueOS.

I am not sure when we release next GhostBSD, but Joe is working on most of the detail related to the live DVD/USB and I do work on the tool.