Acer Nitro 5

Help with issues concerning notebooks, laptops and netbooks.
Sledgehammer

Acer Nitro 5

Post by Sledgehammer »

Hello everyone,

So I finally had it with Windows 10, and I've long been searching for an alternative. I tried several flavours of Linux, but it just never really was my thing. So after browsing DistroWatch, I found GhostBSD, and my interest was immediately piqued. I worked with FreeBSD a bit a long time ago in my computer tech course, and enjoyed it immensely.

I resized my SSD to give GhostBSD some space, and went ahead with the install. All went well, but there are two issues I am running into which I am not too sure what to do with, not gonna lie I am still very much a noob lol.

My laptop is an Acer Nitro 5, and the two issues I have is the touchpad not working, and the Intel WiFi card also not working. I have a USB WiFi dongle which did the trick, but Ghost isn't detecting it anymore. Wired internet is not viable for me as the modem is at the opposite side of the house... although I could plug an Ethernet in the signal repeater I have, as it's got an Ethernet plug.

My main use for the laptop is mostly RPG Maker on Steam, so getting Steam up and running would be important. I would love to be completely rid of Win10, but I know gaming options are limited, but if I can make Win10 a secondary OS that would very much please me.

Glad to be here, and looking forward to becoming a part of this community.
slughorn

Re: Acer Nitro 5

Post by slughorn »